Wave from Elgin OK

gatorguy

I've been dyeing to be able to make this post. After 20yrs I am finally a member of the Jeep family once again. My first Jeep was an all original 1969 CJ5 (read: all rusted, raggedy old soft top with no back window, no heater, no wipers, no speedo, no fuel gauge, and 3/4 turn of the steering wheel before anything happened out at the tire.) that I got in 1995. I kept it a year as my daily driver, but sold it because I couldn't afford to build/fix it.
IMG_0582.jpg

Fast forward 21yrs. Due to an upcoming move to Grand Junction CO in 3 weeks, yesterday I became the proud owner of a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock in Hydro Blue Pearl. It has all the bells and whistles.
IMG_1260.jpg IMG_1261.jpg IMG_1262.jpg
I think I love the hood vents the most about the looks of this jeep.
IMG_1263.jpg IMG_1259.jpg

Factory Options:
-dana 44 front and rear with E-locker, 4.10 gears, swaybar disconnect, and auto trans (I always thought jeeps should be manual)
-rubicon rims and tires
-black hard top and finders
-auto air
-extra airbags
-430N stereo with alpine speakers and Uconnect
-remote start, power locks and windows
-max towing
-leather
-Most importantly: my name on the title

The ironic part is that I went to the dealer to buy a stripped down Sport S. But when we got there my wife, who was starving and just wanted to go eat, said I should just buy the one I wanted instead of the sport, because she didn't want to hear me whining about all the upgrades I wanted. I LOVE MY WIFE!! I said sure thing, (like an obedient husband) let her pick the color, and off she went to get some lunch for her and the kids while I worked out a deal with the dealer.

The only sad part of the day was parting with my Black Beauty ('13 BMW 335i). My wife made me promise that we would get another one as soon as we paid off this jeep, and again reiterated that I can't upgrade until she has another BMW. I will say, I have never loved driving anything as much as I have that car. I wish I could have kept both.
IMG_1250.jpg IMG_1252.jpg

A few more pictures:
I am now "Mall Rated". There was no parking at the mall in OKC, so I had the opportunity to get off the pavement.
IMG_1264.jpg
We found a little trail out through the woods by the lake near our house and officially christened her with a sprinkling of "Red Dirt".
IMG_1268.jpg
The first "Family Photo"
IMG_1269.jpg

Now I know I have promised not to upgrade this Jeep for 5yrs, but I might just forget having had that conversation in about 3yrs or 36k miles. In the mean time I'm excited to put this Hard Rock through its paces, and as I break it I have some really awesome plans. Some of which may or may not include (I must maintain plausible deniability of any premeditated build plans): A bunch of EVO stuff like Double ThrowDown suspension and an assortment of bumpers and rock guards, 40" nitto's, bead locks, ProRock 60 and 80 front/rear, warn winch, light bar, and a Hemi.

I haven't done a whole lot of off roading, so I'm sure I've got a huge learning curve, but with Moab only 90 mins from my soon to be new home, I'm sure I'll be breaking stuff soon enough. I love watching Eddie and crew in all the youtube videos, and all those giant jeeps are my inspiration for what I plan to build. I'm so excited I can't hardly stand it. So, if you see me at Easter Jeep Safari this year come over and say hi. I'll be the easy one to spot, because I'll be the guy that looks like a little kid on christmas morning. I've been waiting for this day for about 40yrs now.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Welcome to WAL. Good to hear about your story and excitement. You're gonna love the Jeep even in stock form. But I'll be really surprised if you make it 3 years before you start modding! Looking forward to reading about more of your adventures. :thumb:

Coop

Caught the Bug
Welcome to WAL from Ohio! Bet you have a hard time not upgrading for 36K or 36 months! Ha! There's just "things" you gotta have for off-road! Hope your wife can take it!

gatorguy

Thanks guys. Really looking forward to using this thing. I drove around a little today with the kids by the lake, but am really looking forward to exploring UT and CO.

Top Bottom