Doors off!

clos0791

Hey guys, I want to take my doors off this spring and summer. I have a 4 door JK. I heard that it's a pretty cool experience. My concern is, by doing this, will I be breaking any state driving laws? I live in So Cal. Any advise? Thanks!!

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Hey guys, I want to take my doors off this spring and summer. I have a 4 door JK. I heard that it's a pretty cool experience. My concern is, by doing this, will I be breaking any state driving laws? I live in So Cal. Any advise? Thanks!!

The only issue you may run into is your mirrors. Some states require you retain side view mirrors, which are attached to the doors you want to remove. Get a mirror relocation kit or some aftermarket mirrors that attach with no doors and your good to go. It's an experience of driving freedom like no other!

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Just make sure you hold on the to doors so they do not dent the cowl while taking them off.

Kinda funny the experience. I was parking at Chimney Rock in NC one and had everything off. A guy was siting there by me had a Harley. He said that is just like being on one with the top and doors off....nothing else compares to it.

BLCK4X4

I have the Tube doors on my 4 door JK. Same feeling as no doors but as far as street driving...its safer, and if you get the right ones you'll find that you can remount your mirrors to them!

Dwg

I was in southern CA for several years with a Jeep and never put my doors on. In fact I did not have them with me. They were back at home in Ohio and I drove the Jeep there. Already mentioned but mirrors are a must. Mine at the time was a CJ though and the mirrors stay anyway and the doors were really part of the soft top. I bet they see the thing as no worse then a motorcycle. FYI... I love to have them off, it is a big change and a great experience.

Kavanji

Here is my solution to the doors off no mirror problem. it sort of works and the cops are happy.

24593419fz.jpg

Kavanji

i stuck a blind spot mirror on the airvent. if i need the vent the doors are in and if i need the mirror i dont need the vent :)

clos0791

The only issue you may run into is your mirrors. Some states require you retain side view mirrors, which are attached to the doors you want to remove. Get a mirror relocation kit or some aftermarket mirrors that attach with no doors and your good to go. It's an experience of driving freedom like no other!

Thanks for the advise! I figured I would need aftermarket mirrors. Cant wait to take them off and head to the trail or maybe cruise down to the beach!

clos0791

Just make sure you hold on the to doors so they do not dent the cowl while taking them off.

Kinda funny the experience. I was parking at Chimney Rock in NC one and had everything off. A guy was siting there by me had a Harley. He said that is just like being on one with the top and doors off....nothing else compares to it.

Good advise! thanks. I heard that some people are is such a rush that they do indeed dent their cowl.

clos0791

I have the Tube doors on my 4 door JK. Same feeling as no doors but as far as street driving...its safer, and if you get the right ones you'll find that you can remount your mirrors to them!

What type of tube doors are the best? I would not mind investing in them if I decide to keep the doors off all the time.

clos0791

I was in southern CA for several years with a Jeep and never put my doors on. In fact I did not have them with me. They were back at home in Ohio and I drove the Jeep there. Already mentioned but mirrors are a must. Mine at the time was a CJ though and the mirrors stay anyway and the doors were really part of the soft top. I bet they see the thing as no worse then a motorcycle. FYI... I love to have them off, it is a big change and a great experience.

Thanks for your feedback! I had a 98 sport 2 door back in the day and it had half-doors. I remember how cool it was when the top was off. I can only imagine how it will be with my 15 JKU with no doors! Cant wait!!

wcarlson40

Here is my solution to the doors off no mirror problem. it sort of works and the cops are happy.

24593419fz.jpg

Yep, that's what I do as well. If you angle/rotate them just right, the visibility is actually very good. They actually look "stock" and I think would pass the test if a cop pulled you over.

jazzmine1948

With the doors and top removed there is a lot of wind buffeting on the road.
To reduce the turbulent wind I got two Rugged Ridge round mirrors and brackets and installed them so the mirrors droop down instead of up as shown in the install instructions.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
With the doors and top removed there is a lot of wind buffeting on the road.
To reduce the turbulent wind I got two Rugged Ridge round mirrors and brackets and installed them so the mirrors droop down instead of up as shown in the install instructions.

Welcome to Wayalife.

Top Bottom