Problem installing rock skins

Black Beaver

So I ran into a little problem installing my rock skins last night. I have one nutsert that I guess wasn't crimped enough and my bold is just spinning when j try and tighten it. Is there any way to fix this? Should I take off the rock skin and try to crimp the nutsert again to tighten it. It's only this one bolt. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455469605.030575.jpg

epetry

You might have to drill that nut sertout and re install a new one if you can't get it to crimp tight enough to to keep it from spinning.

Ddays

Hooked
Yup, get the drill out. Had to do that on one of mine too. Be careful you don't enlarge the hole too much when you do otherwise it wont crimp well.

Ddays

Hooked
I was afraid of that. I have to figure out how to get that screw out now. I might have to drill out.

I don't think its possible to install these without at least one hiccup! Maybe try wedging something non-marring between the skin & the insert to try to keep it from spinning.
Are you using the Astro nutsert tool?

Black Beaver

Cut it off and RTV the screw in.

You already have plenty of screws in it.

I act silly thought about doing that. I tired putting pressure on the nut to get it out while unscrewing. That didn't work to much. So I might just take a hacksaw to it. Thanks for the help guys.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I act silly thought about doing that. I tired putting pressure on the nut to get it out while unscrewing. That didn't work to much. So I might just take a hacksaw to it. Thanks for the help guys.

I fucked up one screw in each side of the skins on my Evo carrier. I beat the piss out of the jeep. No issues and they are still RTV to this day.

Hell we sent a jeep to SEMA with bolts the same way. The only person that will know about it is you. Well and a couple thousand other people now.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I tack welded a few of the nutserts that I messed up when I installed the rock skins on my last JK. Had no problems with it.

Black Beaver

I fucked up one screw in each side of the skins on my Evo carrier. I beat the piss out of the jeep. No issues and they are still RTV to this day.

Hell we sent a jeep to SEMA with bolts the same way. The only person that will know about it is you. Well and a couple thousand other people now.

Hell I don't care who knows about it as long as it stays on and looks good.

Ddays

Hooked
I have to admit, I was gonna do this if the screw on mine wouldn't have backed out fairly easily....

Jackal01

Mine were a disaster. Had to drill several because i was impatient. Long story lol. Part of it i guess.

At least I know I'm not the only one that had this problem.

I messed up 5 total. I was able to more or less fix 2 but they're kind sloppy. 3 were totally loose after attempting redrilling thus I siliconed in place. Luckily they are all spaced far apart so the skins are still tight against the tub.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Cut it off and RTV the screw in.

You already have plenty of screws in it.

I actually did this on one side of my skins as well. ended up just cutting the bolt head off and using rtv to hold the head on and make it look complete :crazyeyes:

Black Beaver

I messed up 5 total. I was able to more or less fix 2 but they're kind sloppy. 3 were totally loose after attempting redrilling thus I siliconed in place. Luckily they are all spaced far apart so the skins are still tight against the tub.

I don't think I'm going to try an fix it. Seeing as it's just one. I don't think it's going to go anywhere. That kinda sucks you had 5 total mess ups. I think I'm going to buy an actual nutsert tool when I buy my corner guards. I don't want to go through the bolt and nut tool again.

Jackal01

I don't think I'm going to try an fix it. Seeing as it's just one. I don't think it's going to go anywhere. That kinda sucks you had 5 total mess ups. I think I'm going to buy an actual nutsert tool when I buy my corner guards. I don't want to go through the bolt and nut tool again.

I used the Astro tool that we all use. I guess I didn't have enough patience or something. I don't care...it looks fine. I did the same thing cozdude did above, actually, on the 3 I couldn't fix. :rock:

Top Bottom