Cheapest way to get rubicon ready?

SoCalDozer

I really want to go do the Rubicon just to see the area and for the experience but I don't want to be the guy holding up the group.

I know WOL post up 35's as the minimum req for runs with you guys but I did have a question regarding this.
It doesnt say anything about 2dr vs 4dr so how would my 2dr with 33x12.50's do vs a 4dr that is running 35's? wouldn't the break over angles be pretty much the same?

In regards to that, would just going with lockers front and rear vs going to 35's instead be a better setup on the 2dr?

Just trying to figure out what route to take as far as upgrades go so I can partake in some future runs
and also I will be getting a winch most likely before I do either of the previous listed things.

Oh yeah and one more thing, Merry Christmas everyone

gouacats

Here are the Jeepers Jamboree suggestions for the Jamboree:

3.5" Lift and 33" Off-Road Tires
Functional parking brake or micro-lock
Tow Strap or Rope (recommended rated at 2 times the vehicle weight)
First Aid Kit
Hi-Lift Jack (you might need one for changing a tire)
Spare tire with diameter within 3 inches of existing tires (no temporary spares)
Battery Hold Downs (no bungee cords)
Skid Plates
Remove all Hub-Caps and Steps
Must have functioning low range in transfer case
Locker in front or rear

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
There are bypasses that you could take on most of the harder obstacles anyway. I would think 35's would still be the minimum but that is just from looking at the video's and pictures as I have never been there. Hoping to get there this summer.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I really want to go do the Rubicon just to see the area and for the experience but I don't want to be the guy holding up the group.

I know WOL post up 35's as the minimum req for runs with you guys but I did have a question regarding this.
It doesnt say anything about 2dr vs 4dr so how would my 2dr with 33x12.50's do vs a 4dr that is running 35's? wouldn't the break over angles be pretty much the same?

In regards to that, would just going with lockers front and rear vs going to 35's instead be a better setup on the 2dr?

Just trying to figure out what route to take as far as upgrades go so I can partake in some future runs
and also I will be getting a winch most likely before I do either of the previous listed things.

Oh yeah and one more thing, Merry Christmas everyone

You can do the whole Rubicon in a bone stock 2-Door but, as you've mentioned, you would be holding people up. 35's are still what I would prefer but, on a 2-door, 33's would get the job done too. Lockers would help make things easier but, are not required.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here are the Jeepers Jamboree suggestions for the Jamboree:

3.5" Lift and 33" Off-Road Tires
Functional parking brake or micro-lock
Tow Strap or Rope (recommended rated at 2 times the vehicle weight)
First Aid Kit
Hi-Lift Jack (you might need one for changing a tire)
Spare tire with diameter within 3 inches of existing tires (no temporary spares)
Battery Hold Downs (no bungee cords)
Skid Plates
Remove all Hub-Caps and Steps
Must have functioning low range in transfer case
Locker in front or rear

I think the 3.5" of lift and 33's is old information and more geared toward TJ's, YJ's and CJ's. The rest is pretty much the same especially when it comes to hub-caps :D

There are bypasses that you could take on most of the harder obstacles anyway. I would think 35's would still be the minimum but that is just from looking at the video's and pictures as I have never been there. Hoping to get there this summer.

This is true more now than ever before. Just a year ago, there were some spots along the main route that you just couldn't bypass. Today, most of the trail has been leveled out and is much easier. I do say "easier" because it is by no means really easy - just easier than before. :yup:

SoCalDozer

You can do the whole Rubicon in a bone stock 2-Door but, as you've mentioned, you would be holding people up. 35's are still what I would prefer but, on a 2-door, 33's would get the job done too. Lockers would help make things easier but, are not required.

Okay thanks for clarifying, I just wanted to get the most out of my mods when I do them so I can actually attend some of the runs put on by you guys.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Rock sliders and tow points front and rear are typically the bare minimum for most of our runs. From what I can see, you've got at least that already :yup:

Top Bottom