Best Spare Tire Carrier..... Go

Benito

Caught the Bug
Is that the biggest tire you plan on running? I am sure the strongest would be the EVO tire carrier, but I think it'll look a little odd with a 35. I like my crawler concepts body mount carrier, it's holding my 37 and is easy to open.

JEEP212121

Is that the biggest tire you plan on running? I am sure the strongest would be the EVO tire carrier, but I think it'll look a little odd with a 35. I like my crawler concepts body mount carrier, it's holding my 37 and is easy to open.

Yes 35 is as big as I will go.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
the best tire carrier is different based off of everyones needs and opinions. that being said I think the stock carrier is one of the best because its FREE. I personally run the or fab tire carrier with roto pax and love it. someday tho I will prob get the evo corners and tire carrier

Albo

A 35 on the stock carrier will give you some trouble down the road. I just installed the teraflex HD hinged tire carrier and love it so far.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
A 35 on the stock carrier will give you some trouble down the road. I just installed the teraflex HD hinged tire carrier and love it so far.
:cheesy::cheesy: your joking right? the only way the stock carrier will give you trouble down the road is if you don't properly isolate the tire like how it comes stock. the terrorflex breaks more than the stock carrier

cmireles

For me the best carrier is no carrier. When I get around to buying the STT pros I'll be yanking the back seat and tying the spare to the tub. I really like the look of the spare tire delete on the JK.

That said, EVO Is probably the strongest but you also need to buy their corners. AEV swing away is also pretty stout I believe and you can run just the carrier attached to the frame without the bumper but they're also really expensive.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug

Ah, here we go again! Lol.

Watch it. Those are notorious for breaking.

OP, the factory one is great with 35s as long as it is secured and doesn't rattle. You will need to extend the bump stops accordingly to keep it from moving around. I have over 10k miles on mine with 35s and no issues.

Albo

:cheesy::cheesy: your joking right? the only way the stock carrier will give you trouble down the road is if you don't properly isolate the tire like how it comes stock. the terrorflex breaks more than the stock carrier

No not joking. This is what happened to my rear door after 50k miles with a 35 mud grappler on stock carrier. Also running extended bump stops

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
No not joking. This is what happened to my rear door after 50k miles with a 35 mud grappler on stock carrier. Also running extended bump stops

But did your stock carrier break? No, your door spot welds failed cause you prob didn't have your tire isolated properly as I mentioned.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

That happened because your tire was bouncing and your bump stop extenders didn't work. If they did you wouldn't have any issues. That is user error, which is what terafuck will tell you when your tire carrier breaks.

Albo

I'm still using the stock carrier with the TF hinge. Not sure what I could have done differently to secure the tire better before. All I know is that now, the weight is off the door and on the hinge and it's solid.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I'm still using the stock carrier with the TF hinge. Not sure what I could have done differently to secure the tire better before. All I know is that now, the weight is off the door and on the hinge and it's solid.

Until it falls off on the highway and kills someone.

vitodivita

I love the Lod rear bumper and carrier on my Jeep. It's the gate linked version so it opens with the tailgate. Made in the USA, sturdy as hell.

Zstairlessone

Plus mine wedges into the stock bumper which supports the weight of the tire somewhat. Much more than 50,000 on it with no door or carrier issues. Granted it does cover part of the third brake light, but I don't see that as an issue as it is still partially visible

Albo

Plus mine wedges into the stock bumper which supports the weight of the tire somewhat. Much more than 50,000 on it with no door or carrier issues. Granted it does cover part of the third brake light, but I don't see that as an issue as it is still partially visible

Mine wedged like that too when the tires were new. I rotate my spare in and once the tread wore down a bit, the tire lost contact with the rear bumper. That's when my problem started.
If mine "breaks off and kills someone" I feel sure it will be the stock mount that breaks and not the hinge.

Coop

Caught the Bug
I love the Lod rear bumper and carrier on my Jeep. It's the gate linked version so it opens with the tailgate. Made in the USA, sturdy as hell.
I also have the LoD bumper and tire carrier, but not linked to the rear door. It's a brute of a tire carrier. The bumper is very tough too!

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
For a 35" tire, if you are set on going aftermarket I would recommend the OR Fab (you can get them with Jerry can mounts, roto pax mounts, or without any) or the Genright. With that said, I have run a 35" tire on the stock carrier on 2 different JKs. I ran one so hard on a section of the Parker 425 race course (not during the race of course) that I had an axle shaft failure. I still have yet to have a single issue with the stock carrier. I ensured the tire was isolated properly with Daystar tailgate bump stops that I wedged between the gate and the tire (I never cut or trimmed them). If your still worried, try getting a drop receiver hitch and running it upside down so the spare rests on the receiver. This can also act like a small slider for your spare and will help support the weight of the tire.

cmireles

Mine wedged like that too when the tires were new. I rotate my spare in and once the tread wore down a bit, the tire lost contact with the rear bumper. That's when my problem started.
If mine "breaks off and kills someone" I feel sure it will be the stock mount that breaks and not the hinge.

If you don't believe cozdude and overlander, there is a thread on here with pictures of said broken teraflex carriers.

On a side note, of all the names I've heard people call teraflex (terrorflex, terafuck, etc.) my phone autocorrected to teraflop, which I've never heard before. I guess even Siri gets it [emoji23]

Top Bottom