Seek some info or advise for stock jk running 295 70 r17 nitto trail gappler

Bluetango

Hi guys, I seek some feedback about 295 70 r17 nitto mt.

I want to do a 2'' spacer lift(aev) or 1.75 spacer lift( local shop mixed). All this are for running 285 70 r17 MT. But last weekend, I go to one jeep shop, the owner told me they have a special size tire, 295 70 r17 nitto trail garppler. the size is 34 inch. He suggest me to do that size, because it is the largest legal size in Australia.(If here have some aussie please help me to confirm it thx. )

I thought it is a great deal, with bigger tire. But I still worried about my stock jeep. I only plan to do the spacer lift plus shock extension, so I can keep running my stock coil and shock. I do not plan to upgrade gear rate and axle and other part year or two. Is it a good I idea to jump to 295 70 r17? And is it the wise choice for this rare size? My JK also a DD

my jeep jk is 2015 jku sport, 6 speed manual, 3.6l. I brought new wheel 17X8 +30 offset steel.

Another question is that is AEW 2'' spacer lift kits good?

Last edited:

crumpler

1.75-2" of lift should be tall enough to clear 34" tires, no problem.

Sounds like a good size to me, if you've got the 3.21 gearing expect to not use 6th gear much anymore... If you're at 3.73 then that's better, but you should be alright.

aldaman

The 1.75" or 2" lift kits are sufficient enough to run / clear both tire sizes (285 & 295). The 295/70/17 size is more equivalent to a 33.3" tire. The only problem you may run into is your current rims with the +30 offset. If I am correct that gives you about a 5.68" backspacing. The recommended BS is 4.5" or less. You may be able to get by a 5.2" BS. You should do a test fit to be sure....

As for the AEV, they tend to be marked at a higher price for what you get compared to other brands. Other brands you can consider are:
  1. Evo leveling kit
  2. Rancho 2" kit
  3. Teraflex budget boost (spacers)

:beer:

Bluetango

The 1.75" or 2" lift kits are sufficient enough to run / clear both tire sizes (285 & 295). The 295/70/17 size is more equivalent to a 33.3" tire. The only problem you may run into is your current rims with the +30 offset. If I am correct that gives you about a 5.68" backspacing. The recommended BS is 4.5" or less. You may be able to get by a 5.2" BS. You should do a test fit to be sure....

As for the AEV, they tend to be marked at a higher price for what you get compared to other brands. Other brands you can consider are:
  1. Evo leveling kit
  2. Rancho 2" kit
  3. Teraflex budget boost (spacers)

:beer:

Thx for the info.
For the rim offset, and if running 285 or 295 tire, could they stay under the stock fender? Because OZ law will not allow the wheel outside the fender. The shop told me 285 70 R17 will Ok with their +30 offset. But now I change mind to 295, do you know does it still fit? For the rubbing part, I also worried, but can't do anything now, hope ok.

I did argue the offset to the shop, but they didn't give me the small offset +6,0 or -6 until I changer wider fender first and show them. Unfortunately, in my place, aftermarket fender will cost more than 1K, if some great or metal one will be even more. I decide to keep stock one until I do some real lift with good shock and coil.

Last edited:

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Thx for the info.
For the rim offset, and if running 285 or 295 tire, could they stay under the stock fender? Because OZ law will not allow the wheel outside the fender. The shop told me 285 70 R17 will Ok with their +30 offset. But now I change mind to 295, do you know does it still fit? For the rubbing part, I also worried, but can't do anything now, hope ok.

I did argue the offset to the shop, but they didn't give me the small offset +6,0 or -6 until I changer wider fender first and show them. Unfortunately, in my place, aftermarket fender will cost more than 1K, if some great or metal one will be even more. I decide to keep stock one until I do some real lift with good shock and coil.

The 285s will rub without wheel spacers, I believe you can turn your steering stops out to keep them from rubbing but you will lose turning radius though I think it is minimal. I am not 100% sure about the steering stop deal as I have only read it on here. I had some 285s and ran wheel spacers.

Top Bottom