Opinions on Currie RockJock 44

tdougherty81

So with a bent C on my axle housing, I'm looking to make an upgrade. Prorock 44 would be my first choice but I have a limited about of funds. The Currie is more affordable. Of course I would have to order it without a locker at this time, upgrade a later down the road. I haven't seen anyone running one so not sure if that's good or bad.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Things are cheaper for a reason. How bad is the bend? If it just a degree or 2, you could always gusset your C's and install adjustable ball joints to correct for the camber. That would save you a TON of money now and then you can continue to save up until you can afford a ProRock 44 with all the goodies you really want in it.

tdougherty81

Things are cheaper for a reason. How bad is the bend? If it just a degree or 2, you could always gusset your C's and install adjustable ball joints to correct for the camber. That would save you a TON of money now and then you can continue to save up until you can afford a ProRock 44 with all the goodies you really want in it.

It's 2 degrees off on the drivers side. That makes sense. What adjustable ball joint can you recommend?

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I've seen a few of them out there. the housing is definitely beefier as are the tubes and inner C's. The couple guys I know who run them are Currie fans, which is totally fine. They have 3" x .375" wall tubes which are much stronger than a stock 44 but not quite as strong as the PR44 if you get the .5" wall option. I'd say the inner C's are comparable to my PR44 by looking. The thing you dont gain though the ground clearance. the RJ44 is same size (maybe even a few 10s bigger) than the stock 44 housing. The PR44 has more clearance for sure. I am curious though why you say "The Currie is much cheaper." If you add their HD cover (which the PR44 comes with) you are pretty much at same price as a PR44, within a hundred $ at most difference. I run PRs but have nothing against anyone wanting to run Currie or anyone else for that matter. But if you build out a PR44 or a RJ44 with the same parts you are going to be very close to the same price.

tdougherty81

I've seen a few of them out there. the housing is definitely beefier as are the tubes and inner C's. The couple guys I know who run them are Currie fans, which is totally fine. They have 3" x .375" wall tubes which are much stronger than a stock 44 but not quite as strong as the PR44 if you get the .5" wall option. I'd say the inner C's are comparable to my PR44 by looking. The thing you dont gain though the ground clearance. the RJ44 is same size (maybe even a few 10s bigger) than the stock 44 housing. The PR44 has more clearance for sure. I am curious though why you say "The Currie is much cheaper." If you add their HD cover (which the PR44 comes with) you are pretty much at same price as a PR44, within a hundred $ at most difference. I run PRs but have nothing against anyone wanting to run Currie or anyone else for that matter. But if you build out a PR44 or a RJ44 with the same parts you are going to be very close to the same price.

I thought the RJ44 came with the cover. I was pricing same options and it was over $200 cheaper. So if it doesn't come with the cover it would be the same as a PR44. I may just wait to get the PR44.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I thought the RJ44 came with the cover. I was pricing same options and it was over $200 cheaper. So if it doesn't come with the cover it would be the same as a PR44. I may just wait to get the PR44.

In the grand scheme of things, is 200 bucks really relevant? I am going to be replacing my axles here very soon and priced out 3 different options. All axles are with an ARB air locker, DynaTrac Prosteer ball joints, chromo axle shafts and 5.13 gears. The Dynatrac PR44 came in at $4898 out the door. That is with the .50" thick tube walls. The Currie RJ44 came in at $4745 out the door, and has .375" thick tube walls. The difference between those 2 is irrelevant IMO, but with the Dynatrac you get more clearance than a D30 and thicker tubes.
The last option I priced out was the G2 Core 44, which came in at $4499.99. This axles has .250" thick tubes, so only a quarter inch thick, or half the thickness of the PR44. So, I had to ask myself is saving 400 bucks worth giving up more clearance and tubes that are twice as thick as the Core 44, plus Dynatracs no fault, no questions asked 1 year warranty. Again, in my opinion it's a no brainier. 400 bucks extra for all that is a bargain. Again, this is just my opinion based on the research I did, I'm pretty sure you'd be satisfied with any of them, but I want the absolute best in my price range on my rig.

croge17

dynatrack, G2, teraflex, currie

By the time you actually get what you want the only one that comes out any cheaper is the G2 axle because it comes with shafts. If you are coming from a rubi 44 and reusing the guts its all a wash.

tdougherty81

By the time you actually get what you want the only one that comes out any cheaper is the G2 axle because it comes with shafts. If you are coming from a rubi 44 and reusing the guts its all a wash.

I wish I would have gotten the Rubicon.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

Wash? Only one is American made. That owners actually gives a shit about his customers

croge17

Wash? Only one is American made. That owners actually gives a shit about his customers

Dynatrac is a great company and builds quality parts, have their 35 spline kit with free spin hub on my superduty. However the G2 housing is US made, I have no idea where teraflex has theirs made, but Currie usually makes a quality product, no idea where it is made. My point in it being a wash is that they all cost about the same unless you are upgrading from a d30 to the 44 then the G2 housing coming loaded with shafts and locker can be a big savings.

Im not suggesting anyone go with anything here just did tons of research before making my decision and learned quite a bit about the options with each brand. I dont think there is one that will be drastically different in performance than the others but only time will tell.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Dynatrac is a great company and builds quality parts, have their 35 spline kit with free spin hub on my superduty. However the G2 housing is US made, I have no idea where teraflex has theirs made, but Currie usually makes a quality product, no idea where it is made. My point in it being a wash is that they all cost about the same unless you are upgrading from a d30 to the 44 then the G2 housing coming loaded with shafts and locker can be a big savings.

Im not suggesting anyone go with anything here just did tons of research before making my decision and learned quite a bit about the options with each brand. I dont think there is one that will be drastically different in performance than the others but only time will tell.

Drastically different in longevity is the key. Anything can last for one trip.

Top Bottom