Installing a PR44

chili84

Good day everyone! I have a PR44 waiting for me with all the goodies needed to make it a complete set. I was going to have someone install it but since I went over budget with rcv axles, even though I didn't want to go that route, I questioned whether I should just pocket the money that I would spend on having them install it for me and do it myself with the help of a friend or just dig deeper into the pockets and fork out the money to have it installed for me. I already have a front ARB locker so the plumbing and wiring for that is already there. Is it really a direct bolt on and something that I should tackle? Is there any special tools other than common hand held tools required as wheel as steering components? I did notice whe ibwas at the shop that the housing was bot drilled out for the air line. How big of a task is this going to be? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

WJCO

Meme King
Good day everyone! I have a PR44 waiting for me with all the goodies needed to make it a complete set. I was going to have someone install it but since I went over budget with rcv axles, even though I didn't want to go that route, I questioned whether I should just pocket the money that I would spend on having them install it for me and do it myself with the help of a friend or just dig deeper into the pockets and fork out the money to have it installed for me. I already have a front ARB locker so the plumbing and wiring for that is already there. Is it really a direct bolt on and something that I should tackle? Is there any special tools other than common hand held tools required as wheel as steering components? I did notice whe ibwas at the shop that the housing was bot drilled out for the air line. How big of a task is this going to be? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I would do it my self. It will require basic hand tools. Air tools would make it easier. It may be time-consuming though. There is enough info on the web nowadays, if you run into any snags with install or dis-assembly, you should be able to get it figured out. Congrats on the new axle.

chili84

I would do it my self. It will require basic hand tools. Air tools would make it easier. It may be time-consuming though. There is enough info on the web nowadays, if you run into any snags with install or dis-assembly, you should be able to get it figured out. Congrats on the new axle.

Yeah I forgot to mention I have access to power tools including a compressor. Time consuming is no issue. It's suppose to warm up this weekend so it won't be miserable.

I can't comment on the internals but I have replaced a couple front axles that were already assembled. That part takes 5 hours or so depending on your skill and if you have air tools. I did my first JK in my garage with a buddy. We just had jack stands to hold the Jeep up and basic hand tools to remove the whole axle. Getting the new axle positioned and all the control arms back on was the hardest part for me. It took a decent amount of pulling and rotating of the new axle. I will definitely recommend having a buddy or two help with this.

WJCO

Meme King
Yeah I forgot to mention I have access to power tools including a compressor. Time consuming is no issue. It's suppose to warm up this weekend so it won't be miserable.

Go for it. You know how to bleed brakes right? If the axle has new calipers. Also, hit all bolts/nuts on your front arms and steering with PB Blaster about a day or two ahead of time.

chili84

I can't comment on the internals but I have replaced a couple front axles that were already assembled. That part takes 5 hours or so depending on your skill and if you have air tools. I did my first JK in my garage with a buddy. We just had jack stands to hold the Jeep up and basic hand tools to remove the whole axle. Getting the new axle positioned and all the control arms back on was the hardest part for me. It took a decent amount of pulling and rotating of the new axle. I will definitely recommend having a buddy or two help with this.

Yeah a friend offered his help and together we're pretty good with tools and directions. Both of us are navy with over 25 years combined service in aviation. I also have a long arm kit installed. Not stock control arms.

You will have a much easier time than I did. Take your time and have a few beers along the way.

WJCO

Meme King

Agreed. Ratchet straps can help too.

Ddays

Hooked
Have you ever set gears up before? That's the only part that I couldn't do myself - I've never done them before so I punted on that one. If those aren't done correctly that could ruin your day.

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
I don't think he'll have to on this one if comes complete. I could be wrong though. Don't post your chips if I'm wrong...........

LOL - On you, never!

You caught me in mid-edit..thought he posted that he already had the ARB locker there. Interpreted that he was gonna re-use?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
When you order the axle all the internals should come installed from Dynatrac (minus axle shafts) unless the shop is a certified installer from them. If they are they should install all of them at no extra charge. When the internals are done the axle itself is a direct bolt in. It took me and a previous friend about 7 hours to swap my d30 out, install the shafts, swap over the knuckles, and bolt everything back back up.

chili84

Have you ever set gears up before? That's the only part that I couldn't do myself - I've never done them before so I punted on that one. If those aren't done correctly that could ruin your day.

LOL - On you, never!

Never done gears before. So I'm going to spend a few days researching and reading great forums from places like this.

You caught me in mid-edit..thought he posted that he already had the ARB locker there. Interpreted that he was gonna re-use?

OK so I left out a key detail. I have a D30 up front. I went with a 35 spline set up. After doing research between that and the 30 spline, the 35 won. I do have a ARB up front but for a D30 and it's a 27 spline. Hope that helps. Sorry for any confusion.

WJCO

Meme King
OK so I left out a key detail. I have a D30 up front. I went with a 35 spline set up. After doing research between that and the 30 spline, the 35 won. I do have a ARB up front but for a D30 and it's a 27 spline. Hope that helps. Sorry for any confusion.

So are you planning on re-using the ARB? It's sounding like that isn't going to work...........

EDIT: If your new PR44 has a locker that comes with it, you should be fine.......

chili84

So are you planning on re-using the ARB? It's sounding like that isn't going to work...........

No I got an all new locker. I wrote the OP while in Barnes and Noble and getting asked a thousand questions about nutritional books lol. I couldn't concentrate.

CZEBJKU

Do it yourself and save some money. I did both front and rear by myself in a couple of weekends. I wasn't in a big hurry because I wanted to do it wright and I gained valuable knowledge if I ever have to make a trail repair. Congrats on the new pr44.

Benito

Caught the Bug
So do you have new gears and the locker (35 spline ARB ) at home waiting to be installed in the housing or is the housing going to be delivered with the locker and gears installed?

chili84

So do you have new gears and the locker (35 spline ARB ) at home waiting to be installed in the housing or is the housing going to be delivered with the locker and gears installed?

Right now it's not built up. I have what is needed to make it a complete unit though. I got all new RCV axles, ARB locker, and Yukon 4.88 gears. Theoretically, all I need to do is remove the D30, place it off to the side, build up the PR44 and install it onto the vehicle. The rear is already at 4.88 from when I put my 37s on and lockers. But I was trigger happy and put money into my front when I shouldn't have. Lessons learned.

Benito

Caught the Bug
Right now it's not built up. I have what is needed to make it a complete unit though. I got all new RCV axles, ARB locker, and Yukon 4.88 gears. Theoretically, all I need to do is remove the D30, place it off to the side, build up the PR44 and install it onto the vehicle. The rear is already at 4.88 from when I put my 37s on and lockers. But I was trigger happy and put money into my front when I shouldn't have. Lessons learned.

Like every one else here has said, if you haven't set up gears before go get those installed by a professional, Then I would do the rest of the swap myself.

WJCO

Meme King

I didn't realize you were going to do the gears yourself. That's a whole nother beast. Specialty tools, a press, and some knowledge/experience. If you really want to do it yourself, there are youtube videos on it, but it's something you want to make sure that you have 100% correct.

Top Bottom