Aluminum vs Steel body armor

LasVegasJK

I'm considering installing rock skins and corners, but not sure if I should go with aluminum or steel.
My knowledge of metals is minimal. I know aluminum will not rust, but will it corrode? And will it handle a substantial slide against a rock? Or will it gouge and look terrible after paint touch up?

WarriorJeep

I'm opposed to aluminum...

Sure its lighter, but it corrodes, it gouges, it bends easily, imho it provides minimal protection compared to steel

I have 18 gauge steel on the corners of my JK, I have bashed them, scraped them, laid on my side, they are still intact and with a little krylon crinkle coat look nearly new.

20160211_183926.jpg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I'm opposed to aluminum...

Sure its lighter, but it corrodes, it gouges, it bends easily, imho it provides minimal protection compared to steel

I have 18 gauge steel on the corners of my JK, I have bashed them, scraped them, laid on my side, they are still intact and with a little krylon crinkle coat look nearly new.

View attachment 188251

18 gauge? Lol my aluminum corners are four times as thick as your steel corners and I would have no problem putting the entire weight of my jeep on them.

LasVegasJK

18 gauge? Lol my aluminum corners are four times as thick as your steel corners and I would have no problem putting the entire weight of my jeep on them.

So, your aluminum has instilled confidence? I know there are different types of aluminum. My doors are T2206 or some shit like that. I just haven't had a chance to see with my own eyes any that have been used for what they are designed for. Unfortunately, there are a lot of premadonnas where I live that buy already built Jeeps as a status symbol and don't take them off pavement. It's sad really.

swampdog

So, your aluminum has instilled confidence? I know there are different types of aluminum. My doors are T2206 or some shit like that. I just haven't had a chance to see with my own eyes any that have been used for what they are designed for. Unfortunately, there are a lot of premadonnas where I live that buy already built Jeeps as a status symbol and don't take them off pavement. It's sad really.

Did you pick up the tone of the first line of his post?!?! If that's not confidence, what is? Haha

Reaper

dont mean to steal the thread........no pun intended! but what about aluminum fenders? and is fender armor worth the money or should i just cut the fenders?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

No a quality part has instilled confidence.

NV375

I like quality parts. I just made a deal on some EVO steel rocker skins. Buying them from a local Wayalifer.
I just need to get the nutsert tool.

PM is not working for me right now I will PM you on Friday night or Saturday morning.

Exodus 4x4

I ordered one from Amazon. Any recommendations for a step bit?

I used a Roto Kut 3/8" spot weld cutter that Aspenkid recommended and it worked amazingly well. About $40 on eBay and worth every penny. Cuts faster and cleaner than a drill bit.

I set my skins up with straps and clamps, used a transfer punch to mark the center and then drilled a 1/8" pilot for the Roto Kut tool. Then followed the Roto Kut with a 25/64 bit. Perfect every time. Sounds like a lot of steps but patience is definitely your friend on this project.

PennyCO

I can say that I have scraped up my aluminum sliders and they do not rust or corrode. This part I really like. I have hit them pretty solid without bending. They also claim to be a bit lighter. I have yet to see/find any true "strength" test from any manufacture. I suppose if you plan on putting it on its side over and over again, I would look at steel knowing you will just need to upkeep the finish so it does not rust. Otherwise, if you are looking for "piece of mind" or random situation, aluminum will should give a lighter load for daily use and less chance for corrosion.

LasVegasJK

I used a Roto Kut 3/8" spot weld cutter that Aspenkid recommended and it worked amazingly well. About $40 on eBay and worth every penny. Cuts faster and cleaner than a drill bit.

I set my skins up with straps and clamps, used a transfer punch to mark the center and then drilled a 1/8" pilot for the Roto Kut tool. Then followed the Roto Kut with a 25/64 bit. Perfect every time. Sounds like a lot of steps but patience is definitely your friend on this project.

Thanks for the advice!

LasVegasJK

I can say that I have scraped up my aluminum sliders and they do not rust or corrode. This part I really like. I have hit them pretty solid without bending. They also claim to be a bit lighter. I have yet to see/find any true "strength" test from any manufacture. I suppose if you plan on putting it on its side over and over again, I would look at steel knowing you will just need to upkeep the finish so it does not rust. Otherwise, if you are looking for "piece of mind" or random situation, aluminum will should give a lighter load for daily use and less chance for corrosion.

Thanks! I may go with aluminum for the corners, but pry not for a couple months. I forgot about the extras needed, such as aftermarket lights and license plate relocation. And powdercoat/paint. But, the steel rocker skins should be in my possession by this weekend sometime.

NV375

Thanks! I may go with aluminum for the corners, but pry not for a couple months. I forgot about the extras needed, such as aftermarket lights and license plate relocation. And powdercoat/paint. But, the steel rocker skins should be in my possession by this weekend sometime.

Looks like you will be going steel corners to me. Keep us posted when you get the stuff installed. I have only seen those lights on one other jeep so far.

Top Bottom