To Exhaust or Not To Exhaust

whytiptoe

So I have my new JKUR and I am not sure that I really want to put an exhaust on it. I like that it is quite and I'm not really sure that I would want it to be loud. So putting on a good exhaust is not going to really give you any gains that are truly tangible for power. I also do not want the defining tone in the cab going down the highway. So I would like to hear what people have done and if it was worth it or not. Thanks in advance for your help.

WJCO

Meme King
So I have my new JKUR and I am not sure that I really want to put an exhaust on it. I like that it is quite and I'm not really sure that I would want it to be loud. So putting on a good exhaust is not going to really give you any gains that are truly tangible for power. I also do not want the defining tone in the cab going down the highway. So I would like to hear what people have done and if it was worth it or not. Thanks in advance for your help.

Every vehicle I've ever owned, I've upgraded the exhaust for performance reasons.............except my Jeep. I didn't buy the Jeep for that kind of performance. I bought it for trails. With that being said, I do plan on upgrading strictly for clearance reasons. The factory WJ exhaust hangs too low IMO, so I want to change that. If I come out with some cool or uncool sounds, I really don't care at this point. With all that being said, I do plan on going to Dynomax if I do it. a) because they support this forum b) because they seem like really cool people, and c) from the sound clips I've heard, I like it. I just have to check how the clearance will be, it's not a mod I plan on doing really soon. At the same time, if you're happy with your sound now, why are you really thinking of changing it?

whytiptoe

Every vehicle I've ever owned, I've upgraded the exhaust for performance reasons.............except my Jeep. I didn't buy the Jeep for that kind of performance. I bought it for trails. With that being said, I do plan on upgrading strictly for clearance reasons. The factory WJ exhaust hangs too low IMO, so I want to change that. If I come out with some cool or uncool sounds, I really don't care at this point. With all that being said, I do plan on going to Dynomax if I do it. a) because they support this forum b) because they seem like really cool people, and c) from the sound clips I've heard, I like it. I just have to check how the clearance will be, it's not a mod I plan on doing really soon. At the same time, if you're happy with your sound now, why are you really thinking of changing it?

I also agree about clearance reason and I think that is the only reason I would change it, even with changing it I would still want it to be as silent as possible.

Thanks Ive seen this thread and thats what kinda spurred my thought on it. Only bad thing with owning a 2016 is I'm not sure if things fit it.

See if you can get up with Matt at dynomax/rancho. He can hook you up. I think they just released a new quiet one if i remember correctly.

Yep it will fit a 16 :) Even on this set up I still hear it when I am driving up I-70 west. But at cruise and around town hardly even hear it.
I am trying to get an "idle" video. Hopefully soon.

Thanks Ive seen this thread and thats what kinda spurred my thought on it. Only bad thing with owning a 2016 is I'm not sure if things fit it.

Hey that's me!!!!

See if you can get up with Matt at dynomax/rancho. He can hook you up. I think they just released a new quiet one if i remember correctly.

Yep!

If you reply to that thread, he or someone from Dynomax will respond.

March 1st is a good time to start saving a little money :)

I got my setup with advice from Matt, I think it was, and he told me when their rebate was coming up, too.

:beer: Thanks!

Yep so did i. Great guy and super helpful.

geberhard

Douchebag
All personal preference. Like WJCO mentioned, for a performance rig, makes more sense (I have headers and exhaust on my old school rigs). On Jeeps that hit trails, or do expedition type adventure, I would stick to stock and\or relocate for clearance reasons. I had a buggy with a V8 and teh louder exhaust sound gets old on the trail. Also my current jeep shave exhausts, and honestly I will likely go back to a stock tone in the JK in the near future. Funny thing I was just thinking about this as I drove the Jk to work today. IMO if you are going aftermarket stick to something that will not give a drone tone.

toxicwaste29

I took of my muffler and replaced my resonator with a dynomax comp muffler. It sounds good and there is still an exhaust technically. It just doesn't dump outside the vehicle which can easily be fixed.

Top Bottom