Quick question for all the welders on the forums?

mo0s3

My brother recently purchased a hydro assist steering and on the Tie Rod it requires welding the bracket on. So my question is this do you think a Lincoln 110 electric welder would be a strong enough bead to hold this or should we do it with a 220 with Gas ?

WJCO

Meme King
My brother recently purchased a hydro assist steering and on the Tie Rod it requires welding the bracket on. So my question is this do you think a Lincoln 110 electric welder would be a strong enough bead to hold this or should we do it with a 220 with Gas ?

I've used 110v Fluxcore on tons of stuff that would be considered 'structural' with no issues. I think it would be fine if it is welded correctly.

EDIT: I have that same welder too.

mo0s3

Yeah I was thinking the same as well, I was going to put a bead on both side of the tab.

Fridge81

You'll be fine with that welder. I built a 12' trailer for my dad with with the Lincoln 3200HD welder from home Depot.

mo0s3

You'll be fine with that welder. I built a 12' trailer for my dad with with the Lincoln 3200HD welder from home Depot.

Yeah I was just seeking more knowledge from other welders. Thanks a lot for the input guys !!!!!

Ddays

Hooked
If you have an aftermarket tie rod make sure it isn't Chrome moly. If you weld to that it will weaken it. You may end up needing a clamp on style bracket on it.

CrazyLarry

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT weld the tabs to the tie rod directly. Get yourself a beefy tie rod clamp and weld the tabs to that so you have full adjustability and also do not jeopardize the integrity of the tie rod.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455754746.283048.jpg

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

As others said, with flux core, you should be able to get good penitration. If you are trying to use solid wire with gas shielding, I would not use a 110 machine for anything structural on the jeep. For hydro assist, could be hit or miss, how thick is the tab?

Also, do NOT weld chrome moly steel. If you have upgraded tie rod, go the clamp route.

mo0s3

As others said, with flux core, you should be able to get good penitration. If you are trying to use solid wire with gas shielding, I would not use a 110 machine for anything structural on the jeep. For hydro assist, could be hit or miss, how thick is the tab?

Also, do NOT weld chrome moly steel. If you have upgraded tie rod, go the clamp route.

Thanks to everyone for the help on this !!
You are awesome

holliewood61

I've used the same welder for many projects without issue. It is good up to 1/4". Just remember to go slow and get good penetration. You may need to take a break between beads, these machines don't have the best duty cycle. If it goes from running a nice bead to spitting like you have the wire speed too slow, stop and take a break.

I've used the same welder for many projects without issue. It is good up to 1/4". Just remember to go slow and get good penetration. You may need to take a break between beads, these machines don't have the best duty cycle. If it goes from running a nice bead to spitting like you have the wire speed too slow, stop and take a break.

^^^
The last sentence is key.

Here is mine. Set up to run with gas. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455863807.867274.jpg .

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Anyone have a suggestion on a decent welders helmet that won't break the bank? I'm using a cheap PoS

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Anyone have a suggestion on a decent welders helmet that won't break the bank? I'm using a cheap PoS

Just buy ANY mask you like (WITH REPLACEABLE LENS) then when you have some cash, spring for an auto lens... that way you arent limiting your mask choice locally, and you can split up the cost into 2 purchases. :yup:

mo0s3

Exactly what I was thinking!! Thanks

Top Bottom