Interior Dome light help and some other things.

Lovemyrubi

3 issues that I have been researching that I can't seem to figure out.

1) Interior Dome light doesn't turn on when I open the door. I have check #4 fuse and the switch on the signal light bar and neither are the problem. If the door is open it registers on the dash that a door is opened and I have checked the plugs at the door. The led dome works if I push the button on the dome light.

2) gear shift lights not working. Probably a bulb

3) power window switches led not on. Could this be a bulb too?

I just purchased my 2012 JKU rubi w/ 33,000 miles on it this past Friday. Didn't know if something could be contributing to all three of these?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Davidb

I have the same problems with my interior dome lights and also the power window buttons. Hopefully someone has a solution as I also checked all the fuses and can't seem to figure it out

james2003w

First thing that comes to mind is the dimmer switch (adjust it to make sure it's not in the "off" position). Otherwise, if the fuses are good I would check the wiring/connections make sure there is no corrosion on the pins. Ensure everything is tightly fitting and fitting correctly.

Some dealers offer a 30 day warranty. Not sure what you got with your purchase, if anything at all as it is used. Take it back to the dealer and see if they'll work with you.

Lovemyrubi

First thing that comes to mind is the dimmer switch (adjust it to make sure it's not in the "off" position). Otherwise, if the fuses are good I would check the wiring/connections make sure there is no corrosion on the pins. Ensure everything is tightly fitting and fitting correctly.

Some dealers offer a 30 day warranty. Not sure what you got with your purchase, if anything at all as it is used. Take it back to the dealer and see if they'll work with you.

Thanks, James! I've adjusted the dimmer switch to no avail. The J4 fuse looks good. If the door is open the gauges show door open so I believe the connection plug is secure. I do know that a lockpick is installed for the navigation, that wouldn't have anything to do with it would it? I bought the vehicle from an individual so I don't have the 30 day option available. I know there is an open recall for the power mirrors that I need to get a dealer to install, but I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with it either.

WJCO

Meme King
I would check around the fuse box (TIPM) for water intrusion and corrosion. These TIPMs have tons of little issues like this. I would even go as far as pulling one fuse at a time and putting it back in. I have seen a lot of issues with these things. You could even wiggle the wiring harnesses near the TIPM and see if any of your symptoms change.

Lovemyrubi

I would check around the fuse box (TIPM) for water intrusion and corrosion. These TIPMs have tons of little issues like this. I would even go as far as pulling one fuse at a time and putting it back in. I have seen a lot of issues with these things. You could even wiggle the wiring harnesses near the TIPM and see if any of your symptoms change.

I will give this a shot tomorrow. Thx for the suggestion.

james2003w

I don't know how it's done on the JK's but I know on the older vehicles electronics like this were much simpler.

I'm going to say bulbs for the Windows and the Gearshift. These are both incandescent bulbs. Pull the window switches and find the connection for the bulbs, hook up a power source directly and see if they light up, this will help ensure that they do in fact work. If they don't well the problem is in the switch... start troubleshooting form there. Mind you these are amber surface mount bulbs (if I remember) and shine through a blue tinted piece. Gearshift, probably the bulb, those things never did last long for me on any make/model car.

As for the dome light, that's a questionable one. Is there something in the manual that tells you how to disable it completely upon opening the door? Does it light up when you use keyless entry to unlock (if equip)? I would pull apart the dome light... and run a volt meter with the door open. Does it get voltage? next thing is ohm out the wires (granted I don't know how the JK is setup on the wires to the dome).

Lovemyrubi

I don't know how it's done on the JK's but I know on the older vehicles electronics like this were much simpler.

I'm going to say bulbs for the Windows and the Gearshift. These are both incandescent bulbs. Pull the window switches and find the connection for the bulbs, hook up a power source directly and see if they light up, this will help ensure that they do in fact work. If they don't well the problem is in the switch... start troubleshooting form there. Mind you these are amber surface mount bulbs (if I remember) and shine through a blue tinted piece. Gearshift, probably the bulb, those things never did last long for me on any make/model car.

As for the dome light, that's a questionable one. Is there something in the manual that tells you how to disable it completely upon opening the door? Does it light up when you use keyless entry to unlock (if equip)? I would pull apart the dome light... and run a volt meter with the door open. Does it get voltage? next thing is ohm out the wires (granted I don't know how the JK is setup on the wires to the dome).

James, you have been great with your suggestions. My research has concluded that the bulb is out in the gear shift and the lights in the switch has gone out, considering the lights in window switches in the back of console work. I'm fine with the window switches and will fix the bulb in the gear shift. The dome lighting is driving me nuts. The manual suggests the dimmer switch for it to work when the doors open and keyless entry is used to unlock the jeep, but neither work. Of course, when I click the button on the dome lights it works, but I would love for it to work when the doors open. I would have to get a volt meter and then try to figure out what I'm doing with the thing. :)

james2003w

James, you have been great with your suggestions. My research has concluded that the bulb is out in the gear shift and the lights in the switch has gone out, considering the lights in window switches in the back of console work. I'm fine with the window switches and will fix the bulb in the gear shift. The dome lighting is driving me nuts. The manual suggests the dimmer switch for it to work when the doors open and keyless entry is used to unlock the jeep, but neither work. Of course, when I click the button on the dome lights it works, but I would love for it to work when the doors open. I would have to get a volt meter and then try to figure out what I'm doing with the thing. :)

I like puzzles... I ran into the same issue with my window switches when I had my 2008.
This article talks about upgrading them to LED: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4052-LED-Light-Upgrade-for-your-Power-Window-Switches

I'm curious to hear about your Dome light, is it still the incandescent 'factory' bulb? or was it replaced with an LED (try putting the normal incandescent in)? I know sometimes the LED lights don't work the way they should.

Top Bottom