Let's seen some storage setups!

XJQuinn99

This is my first actual thread that I've started so I hope I do this right.

I daily my Cherokee, and usually take it out every weekend if I'm not working on it or doing something to it. With that being said, my storage in the back is somewhat limited. I keep tools, some spare parts, a few other odds and ends and a small subwoofer. I was hoping to see some setups and cool storage ideas to try and make the most of the cargo space in the back of my Jeep!

WJCO

Meme King
Great thread starter. I don't think we have one yet in the Cherokee/Grand section. I have a WJ, so I'm sure it's a little different than your XJ. But here's what I got.

First mod we ever did on the Jeep was getting the spare tire out of the factory well so we could put tools in there. The tire and jack are on the outside of the vehicle.

DSC02806.jpg
DSC02807.jpg

This is the overall view of the cargo area.

DSC02808.jpg

The Cabelas sleeve is actually a junior archery quiver but works perfect for tire tools, a torque wrench, and a breaker bar. You can also see the come along strapped here too.

DSC02809.jpg
DSC02810.jpg

Off to the side I have a cheapy air compressor, a bottle jack, and winter insulated welding gloves. I need a better spot for the jack but haven't found anything perfect yet.
DSC02811.jpg

Mounted to the back of the back seat are bolt cutters with quick fist clamps. You can also see my axe tucked away under the seat. The chainsaw sits in front of it.

DSC02812.jpg
DSC02813.jpg

Off to the right side, I have a bag with recovery gear including, d rings, straps, snatch, tree saver, etc.

DSC02814.jpg

I built a hinge for the factory tire well cover to fold up so I can leave heavy stuff on the back of it and not have to move it all the time.

DSC02816.jpg

Up above in the factory storage compartment on the right, I have some ratchet straps, tie downs, bungey cords, and some bolts/nuts/hardware.

DSC02815.jpg

Then inside the well, I have all my basic tools along with a jumpbox and a stick welding kit that can be used with 2 batteries. I do plan on getting a different welding set up eventually.

DSC02817.jpg
DSC02818.jpg
DSC02819.jpg
DSC02820.jpg
DSC02821.jpg
DSC02822.jpg

On the rear floorboard, I have a duffel bag filled with supplies for a 72 hour kit I built for the family. There is enough supplies to last our family of 5 for three days if we were stuck somewhere. It includes military food rations, water, fleece clothing, basic vehicle repair stuff, medicine, signaling devices, toilet paper, etc. This is more for a time where if we slid off an icy road in the winter, we could wait in the car while help arrived. It primarily has clothing to protect us from the cold.

DSC02823.jpg

A knife, saw, and fire kit remains in the door panel storage compartment.

DSC02824.jpg

And a roof rack which helps a lot with camping gear.

DSC02825.jpg

jamesrw30

Really cool thread and some really neat stuff you have going on WJCO. Makes me realize I need to really do something myself.

WJCO

Meme King
Really cool thread and some really neat stuff you have going on WJCO. Makes me realize I need to really do something myself.

Thank you. This is one of those areas of the Jeep I'm constantly changing around, organizing, etc. Never fails, I put a tool in the very back that I never use.........then somehow need it the next day.

XJQuinn99

Holy crap you have a lot of stuff in your jeep! Haha that spare tire well really frees up a ton of useable space. That's awesome. I'm kind of considering building some kind of storage box for the back on my jeep for recovery gear and tools. It looks like you've got enough and then some!

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
For whatever reason I love roof racks. It has to be the right one and the right vehicle though. I've always loved the look of one on an XJ. I had an XJ once and while I had big plans for it, it never received any of it. I just had one of the big Action Packers in the back for stuff.

WJCO

Meme King
Holy crap you have a lot of stuff in your jeep! Haha that spare tire well really frees up a ton of useable space. That's awesome. I'm kind of considering building some kind of storage box for the back on my jeep for recovery gear and tools. It looks like you've got enough and then some!

I've seen some pretty cool setups on XJs with drawers and stuff.

XJQuinn99

For whatever reason I love roof racks. It has to be the right one and the right vehicle though. I've always loved the look of one on an XJ. I had an XJ once and while I had big plans for it, it never received any of it. I just had one of the big Action Packers in the back for stuff.

Roof baskets are awesome for just about everything. Haha it's tough finding the perfect one for an XJ that doesn't break the bank. I ran a Thule cargo pod for awhile for camping gear and what not.

WJCO

Meme King

Roof baskets are awesome for just about everything. Haha it's tough finding the perfect one for an XJ that doesn't break the bank. I ran a Thule cargo pod for awhile for camping gear and what not.

There's a lot of cool thin ones out now that don't sit too high but still have a ton of lashing points.

Houndy95

I have always wanted to build some sort of drawer in the back. I have seen a few designs that looked great but have yet to make one. Right now I store a strap, snatch block, and winch cable under my rear seat. I also have a tool box and hi-lift base in the back where the spare used to be and then I have a top hat for roof storage. I found it on ebay as a open box and it was all there just missing hardware other than that and a few scratches in the powder coat I have no complaints about it. IMG_0838.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0315.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:

Houndy95

Yeah me to. I also like the fact that the basket can unbolt from the frame without having to remove the lower section.

JHoward77

99 xj

After reading the forum for a long time I've decided I should post what I've done.

I'm bad about taking pictures but here's what I built for storage

Structure is all 3/4" MDO plywood and secured to the floor with eye-bolts and turnbuckles
Started with the idea to just build a deck that I could secure everything under (and to relocate an AGM battery under to make room for a York OBA system...).
Then after I started I decided to hinge the rear portion of the sides to make some quick access storage.
IMG_20150329_203039711.jpg

Then I decided to add a drawer to make everything more accessible, again built out of 3/4" MDO. (Overkill but I doubt it will ever break/wear out)
26" full extension locking drawer slides with a 450lb rated capacity (make a great table out camping)
Covered in automotive carpet that ended up pretty close to stock color wise.
2015-04-19.jpg

Finished
2015-04-19(2).jpg

Sorry I don't have any more pictures during the build I just get busy working on something and forget.
If you have any questions about it I'll do my best to answer.

-J

Top Bottom