Have anyone install a mounted power converter in there jeep? and where to mount it?

Deuane

I just gotted a power converter, power enough to plug to a power tool. The power converter have a mount, to mount to a vehicle and a remote switch for it. Have anyone mounted to there Jeep JK?

Conman

I have buddy that mounted his under the passenger front seat. Looks clean and is out if the way. I have the same inverter and will be mounting it in the same location.

Deuane

I have buddy that mounted his under the passenger front seat. Looks clean and is out if the way. I have the same inverter and will be mounting it in the same location.

I am just wondering where do you run the big cable to your battery, do u drill a hole to get to the battery?

Rubi Freak

I am just wondering where do you run the big cable to your battery, do u drill a hole to get to the battery?

Run the cable along the passenger side and remove the side plate cover on the pasenger side of the dash. If i remember correctly, there is a hole that goes through the firewall and into the engine compartment. Hopefully these pics help you on the install.

Attachments

• image-2045661909.jpg
    image-2045661909.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 259
  • image-3033489657.jpg
    image-3033489657.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 244
  • image-3073882282.jpg
    image-3073882282.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 253

Gibbo

Run the cable along the passenger side and remove the side plate cover on the pasenger side of the dash. If i remember correctly, there is a hole that goes through the firewall and into the engine compartment.

Be sure to seal the hole back up. I did the same with some switch wires, and on x-mas day I was driving head on into torrential driving rain for 2 hours, and for 2 hours water was dripping onto my accelerator foot. Some how it had found its way through there. Water's like that.:rock:

rovingshoe

I placed mine under the passenger seat. Occasionally someone will accidentally hit the power switch and turn it on, so I mounted a remote power switch on the dash that lights up when it is on.

The existing hole in the firewall already was used for some other DIY wires and the large power leads couldn't fit. I ended up routing power thru the floor drain hole to the engine bay. It actually routed to a very protected area under the Jeep. I then sealed up the drain hole with silicon. Easy to remove in the future if ever I need to drain out some water.

Deuane

Thanks for the tips, I been doing endless Jeep project this few weeks. I am about getting to the power converter mounted on..

Deuane

I thought it would take me one day to do it, but end of having to finish it up tomorrow.. I will be finish up any loose end of having to get a ground wire for it, and reclamping the cable wire connector it seem to be loose, and putting my passage seat back...I been debating about the remote switch but decide to put the it on the center console..

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 233
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 214
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 222
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 223

WJCO

Meme King
Bump. Anyone have any good or bad feedback on power inverter brands. I'm looking at something maybe 1000w or so to run power tools, a coffee pot, and the potential of charging some of my cordless tool batteries if ever needed. Any feedback?

BaddestCross

Bump. Anyone have any good or bad feedback on power inverter brands. I'm looking at something maybe 1000w or so to run power tools, a coffee pot, and the potential of charging some of my cordless tool batteries if ever needed. Any feedback?

What kind of power tool? I used to run a 750W from HF in my work van to charge my DeWalt batteries and run a printer. I upgraded the printer to a color laser and the 750W did fine in the winter, but when the summer heat kicked in, the 750W couldn't handle it. I upgraded to a HF 3000W in hopes of being able to run a circular saw but no go. The printer works fine as long as the van is running. I heard that a true sine wave converter is much better, but haven't had time to do the research.

WJCO

Meme King
What kind of power tool? I used to run a 750W from HF in my work van to charge my DeWalt batteries and run a printer. I upgraded the printer to a color laser and the 750W did fine in the winter, but when the summer heat kicked in, the 750W couldn't handle it. I upgraded to a HF 3000W in hopes of being able to run a circular saw but no go. The printer works fine as long as the van is running. I heard that a true sine wave converter is much better, but haven't had time to do the research.

Most of my tools are cordless, so it's more for charging my cordless batteries, etc. I would like the ability to run a coffee pot on it though. It would be nice occasionally though if I were at home or helping a friend, where I could plug in something like a grinder, etc. I saw a little about the 'true sine wave' inverter as well, but don't fully understand it. I may spend more time looking into that.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Are you looking for an inverter that you can store and plug into a 12v socket/lighter when needed or something more permanent that's mounted and hardwired? I have a really nice Tripplite unit that was hardwired in my work van several years back, built like a brick shithouse right now it's rigged in a setup for emergency sump pump use in a power outage. Right now I use just a small one that plugs into the 12v power socket (purchased at Lowe's and I forget the brand) in the rear that does fine for cordless battery charging. You just want to make sure whatever one you choose will handle the load of the devices you plug into it. You'll probably want to be in the 600-1750 watt to run a small appliance and more for a power tool with a constant high amp draw. True sine wave probably isn't necessary unless it's critical for special devices that require a clean wave.

http://www.powerinverters.org/pages/Choosing-an-Inverter.html

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Are you looking for an inverter that you can store and plug into a 12v socket/lighter when needed or something more permanent that's mounted and hardwired? I have a really nice Tripplite unit that was hardwired in my work van several years back, built like a brick shithouse right now it's rigged in a setup for emergency sump pump use in a power outage. Right now I use just a small one that plugs into the 12v power socket (purchased at Lowe's and I forget the brand) in the rear that does fine for cordless battery charging. You just want to make sure whatever one you choose will handle the load of the devices you plug into it. You'll probably want to be in the 600-1750 watt to run a small appliance and more for a power tool with a constant high amp draw. True sine wave probably isn't necessary unless it's critical for special devices that require a clean wave.

http://www.powerinverters.org/pages/Choosing-an-Inverter.html

Definitely going to hardwire it. I already have a couple of those smaller cigarette lighter ones. Thanks for that link, and I'll look into Tripplite as well.

here's a suggestion if you want to *armor* the power feed cables so they don't short out (hopefully there is a fuse in line as well).

You can buy tinned braid in a tube, or you can take RG-8 coax and strip the plastic covering and pull off the braid in a tube. Then bunch it up and run it over the cable where ever it goes through holes, etc.

Take some heatshrink and slide over this and shink the ends so that the braid doesn't unravel.

If you buy braid, you can get it in various diameters.

This stuff
tin-copper-metal-braided-sleeving.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
here's a suggestion if you want to *armor* the power feed cables so they don't short out (hopefully there is a fuse in line as well).

You can buy tinned braid in a tube, or you can take RG-8 coax and strip the plastic covering and pull off the braid in a tube. Then bunch it up and run it over the cable where ever it goes through holes, etc.

Take some heatshrink and slide over this and shink the ends so that the braid doesn't unravel.

If you buy braid, you can get it in various diameters.

This stuff

That looks like some cool stuff. I'll keep that in mind for future projects for sure. On this inverter, I have an auxiliary power source in the back, so I'll likely put it right there and won't have to worry about running wires too far. But thanks for the info.

jesse3638

Hooked
I wouldn't try to run power tools off it. They have s heavy draw and will most likely trip the safety cut out. It's the initial start up of a tool that has the heavy draw. The stock inverter in my 12 Rubicon will charge my DeWalt batteries no problem.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

I wouldn't try to run power tools off it. They have s heavy draw and will most likely trip the safety cut out. It's the initial start up of a tool that has the heavy draw.

^^ this.

I figured the 3000W would handle the startup load of my saw because it has a surge rating of 7000W or something but no go. I know there's got to be something I'm missing. The pure sine is important for running sensitive electronics, but I think I read that it's necessary for some motors as well.

That being said, for a coffee pot, the 750W would probably be enough, but a grinder may be a problem. Battery charging is no problem at all.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

shin0bi1

I just gotted a power converter, power enough to plug to a power tool. The power converter have a mount, to mount to a vehicle and a remote switch for it. Have anyone mounted to there Jeep JK?

I bought one to use with in my cigarette lighter. got a good deal too at the Tosche Station during black friday sales.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom