Gear strength

nacho

posted in jk forum but have a feeling it may get out of hand. I have to go to a 5:something ratio in d44s. I know it is only time before they destruct, regardless of manufacture, but what company seems to have a leg up on longevity?

GCM 2

Superior Gears that are USA made

x2, on the Superior Gear sets. You probably know this , but just a reminder about the risk vs. reward when going large on the ring and pinions on D44's. Although the 5.XX:1 gear ratios give you back much of the parasitic loss of big tires, the return of easier acceleration, be careful of binding that drivetrain up in rocks. The amount of pinion to ring gear contact is very minimal and under heavy loading of the rear drivetrain,those helical cut gears can shear off. Hell, even with my ProRock 60's I worry about it. However, do not let that keep you from getting that sweet rig out on the trail, especially in CO! That is just a land of awesome wheeling opportunities.

BONDSY

Gear longevity (giving they were installed correct) also has a lot to do with driving styles. If a person is a proud cocky person who does not know when to let up on the gas, to proud to get a tug, and keeps hammering away on an obstacle that he have no business being on, I'd say they're failure will come sooner rather than later. Opposite a guy who seldom wheels hard trails, knows how to size up a obstacle, Keeps tire spin in check, and is humble enough to take a bypass, his gears could last a lifetime. I expect mine to last for a long time.
Mine are Yukon's made in South Korea.

GCM 2

Mine are Yukon's made in South Korea.

From what I understand, and this is by no means a fact, but I think all the gear sets come from S. Korea, China....etc. I guess I may have read that in one the heated discussions on the JK-F. But also, what you say is true about the installation being correct. The most expensive gears in the world not dialed in from the start will self destruct in the amount of time it takes to drive off the lift in the shop. Unfortunately I have seen this done on a brand new front PR60 the first time it was engaged into 4wd.

Attachments

• 11921704_10206662422815652_7907667973461566749_n.jpg
    11921704_10206662422815652_7907667973461566749_n.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 8

Indefatigable

Yukon is kind of weird though. As stuff goes...

I have seen their axle shafts break the ear at the stongest point, not the weakest.

I have seen teeth pull out of a ring gear. Weirdest thing to see it fail at the base (thickest) point of the tooth.

nacho

All things fail I suppose, I do not know what company I am going to go with. Superior seems to be in front for me at the moment. I am more of a smart wheeler as opposed to a skinny pedal gets it done type. I am going to run 1310 driveshafts mainly hoping they will act like a fuse in the drive train. Thanks to WOL I know that when I step up to 60s I will have to get new driveshafts anyway.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 5

BONDSY

From what I understand, and this is by no means a fact, but I think all the gear sets come from S. Korea, China....etc. .

Speaking to the owner of Fearless Gear in Fresno, he basically explained to me there are a few Manufacturers in the world, being an different nations over seas. The gear sets are then re-branded. My set that's in my JK, so I was told, were made in S. Korea.
My Alloy USA shafts were made in India.:naw:

Top Bottom