AEV Fuel Caddy

acamp75

I was looking in to this as an option for extra fuel. It seems like a great idea, but I was wondering if it had any adverse effects on the rear of the Jeep, and/or the tire carrier itself? If anyone has any experience with this please let me know. Oh and someone is looking to get rid of one, let me know what the reasoning behind the decision to let it go is.

So far I have gotten great responses when asking any of the NOOB questions I have, and I am sure this one will be no different.

A.

jeeeep

Hooked
I was looking in to this as an option for extra fuel. It seems like a great idea, but I was wondering if it had any adverse effects on the rear of the Jeep, and/or the tire carrier itself? If anyone has any experience with this please let me know. Oh and someone is looking to get rid of one, let me know what the reasoning behind the decision to let it go is.

So far I have gotten great responses when asking any of the NOOB questions I have, and I am sure this one will be no different.

A.

I have the AEV gas caddy and their tire carrier with my stock bumper. no adverse effects on the rear of the Jeep, the tire carrier mounts to the frame and it's all tucked pretty close to the body. I like that I can open the tail gate as normal, single step.

only issue I've had is the bolt that holds the bottom bushing tends to work lose. I didn't check it often enough and lost the bolt, and washers and the carrier got pretty noisy. I may replace it with some all-thread lock it in place with red locktite and use a nylon lock washer nut

The hose that comes with the gas caddy takes some getting used to, it works but you need to find somewhere on the caddy to store it after using it. It comes with a heavy zip lock bag but the odor still escapes so keeping it in the Jeep is not a good idea.

I bought a bulb type siphon hose from a marine store, makes it easier. I saw another member install a portable fuel pump that looks like it would work even better.

Only real drawback to the gas caddy is it's not easy to remove when not in use. I keep thinking about selling it and using rotopaks but it's nice to have it out of the way and it holds a good amount of fuel vs. roto pacs.

you will want to consider a backup camera, it blocks the rear window.

acamp75

That is awesome info. I use my side morrors way more than than the rear view so that shouldn't be an issue. If decide to sell it, let me know thanks for the info. Good stuff to think about.

Top Bottom