35's need to re-gear?

Jaimegomez8

Noob question but I've been doing a lot of research before I go and purchase a set of wheels, that being said I do I need to re gear my 2015 jk or will I see some damage down the road?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Noob question but I've been doing a lot of research before I go and purchase a set of wheels, that being said I do I need to re gear my 2015 jk or will I see some damage down the road?

You do not need to regear but doing so will help. You will get the stock power back when you properly do so.

ST3LLA

I have 35s and stock gears in my sport 4 dr. I have no problems and don't plan to regear the dana 30. I have noticed power off the line but not enough to feel the need for new gears and i drive 30 minutes to school one way. I would think differently if I had a d44 upfront but I would also have 37s. Just my 2 cents.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I have 35s and stock gears in my sport 4 dr. I have no problems and don't plan to regear the dana 30. I have noticed power off the line but not enough to feel the need for new gears and i drive 30 minutes to school one way. I would think differently if I had a d44 upfront but I would also have 37s. Just my 2 cents.

Drive a jeep that is regeared and you will feel differently.

Jaimegomez8

Thanks I think I'm confident enough to get some 35's I don't commute that much a day so I don't think it would be a problem for me, thanks for the info

Coop

Caught the Bug
Thanks I think I'm confident enough to get some 35's I don't commute that much a day so I don't think it would be a problem for me, thanks for the info

At least make sure you get a Procal by AEV or equivalent before you have the 35s installed! Measure the tire height on the ground and program the resultant height into the Jeep's computer. This will not only make your speedometer correct but can prevent any limp mode interpretations your Jeep may apply. There are other programs these units have that you might also need, if not now, maybe later.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Wow! I can't imagine running 35's with 3.21 gearing! That's sounds horrible.
I'm on 35's with 4.10 and a banks auto mind programmer on sport mode to get power back closer to stock and make the computer adjustments that are needed for the tire size change.
I say plan on regearing if you want your jeep to be able to move when the light turns green and four low not to be like four high.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I can honestly tell a difference with 33's and 3.73 gears at highway speeds. It won't hold 5th like it did.

Wow! I can't imagine running 35's with 3.21 gearing! That's sounds horrible.
I'm on 35's with 4.10 and a banks auto mind programmer on sport mode to get power back closer to stock and make the computer adjustments that are needed for the tire size change.
I say plan on regearing if you want your jeep to be able to move when the light turns green and four low not to be like four high.

I can imagine, because im running 35s on 3.21s. Lol. Its effing turrible. If i wasnt planning on an axle swap soon, id regear for sure. Even if i was staying on 35s w a d30.

redex

I'm running 33" on 4.56 but only because i am waiting for my 35".

Once i get 35" i think it'll be a perfect match. I'm currently reving too high, but still manageable. Also remember if you go from stock 32" sport tires to 35" MT or AT tires there will be a lot of weight to push along with the size. I think 33" was a DRAG w/ 3.21 so i can't imagine 35" on 3.21....

Also, Manual rubi owners should note that there is a huge difference in gears between a AT 3.73 5 Gear and a MT 4.10 6 Gear. So don't trust a Manual Rubicon drivers experience to your gears. That extra gear is a world of difference.

OkstateJK

I started out with 3.21's in a 2014 JKU running 35's. Ran it like that for about 15,000 miles. Around a flat town, it's less than ideal but still manageable. Where it will become the bane of your existence will be in hills with even a little bit of altitude thinned air. You. Will. Hate. It.

I spent the money and went with 4.56's. It is, to date, the best money I have spent on the Jeep. It is only a slight advantage off-road. Where they shine is on the highway. I actually gained about 2.5 MPG's when I switched. The reason being is that where I live, there are lots of long, rolling hills on the highway. Before, the transmission would downshift to 3rd at even the slightest incline. Now I hold 5th for everything except the steepest hills. I've done the math, the 4.56's will pay for themselves after about 50,000 miles due to the MPG improvement. (that's also how I justified it to the GF).

Bottom line, it's a boring, un-glorious way to spend $1,500+... But it's worth it.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I started out with 3.21's in a 2014 JKU running 35's. Ran it like that for about 15,000 miles. Around a flat town, it's less than ideal but still manageable. Where it will become the bane of your existence will be in hills with even a little bit of altitude thinned air. You. Will. Hate. It.

I spent the money and went with 4.56's. It is, to date, the best money I have spent on the Jeep. It is only a slight advantage off-road. Where they shine is on the highway. I actually gained about 2.5 MPG's when I switched. The reason being is that where I live, there are lots of long, rolling hills on the highway. Before, the transmission would downshift to 3rd at even the slightest incline. Now I hold 5th for everything except the steepest hills. I've done the math, the 4.56's will pay for themselves after about 50,000 miles due to the MPG improvement. (that's also how I justified it to the GF).

Bottom line, it's a boring, un-glorious way to spend $1,500+... But it's worth it.

I am right where you were. What if I did 35s with 4.88s ?

Top Bottom