Mojave Road Question

gary crouch

Hey all...
Looking to do a couple three day trip on the Mojave Road. Any tips as to who where and what?

Probably just the wife and I in our 4 dr JK towing our off road trailer...

heading up rodriguez.JPG

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all...
Looking to do a couple three day trip on the Mojave Road. Any tips as to who where and what?

Are you asking where to start and what to see? If so, I would recommend that you get the Old Mojave Road book by Dennis Casebier. That is probably the best resource for a trip out there as it covers all the stops you'll want to make and give a bit of history on them as well. I would start in Laughlin and end back in Barstow. I would definitely plan on spending at least 2 nights on the trail especially if you plan on seeing all the sights.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Are you asking where to start and what to see? If so, I would recommend that you get the Old Mojave Road book by Dennis Casebier. That is probably the best resource for a trip out there as it covers all the stops you'll want to make and give a bit of history on them as well. I would start in Laughlin and end back in Barstow. I would definitely plan on spending at least 2 nights on the trail especially if you plan on seeing all the sights.

:yup: That is a great book. I have thought about doing it as well. Probably will this spring or fall.

RedSyndrome

The book is great, but be aware, they have changed the trail a little in the beginning and it can be easy to get off track. Follow the cairns( little piles of rock).

MRDON

Backcountry adventures southern california by peter massey & jeanne wilson is a good book (if you can find one). I've done it twice from barstow to nevada.

LBrito

I'll save the specifics on sights to see to your favorite guide book. I love the lava tubes though.

I will recommend that you pick your camp sites wisely this time of year though. Stay away from the higher elevation areas or be prepared to spend the night very close to the fire and potentially wake up to some snow. It will be chilly throughout the day, bring warm clothing for both day and night.

I always have an interesting time driving through the deep sandy section of the trail near the OHV area, I find it takes a little throttle modulation to keep up a good speed with the Jeep, but not bounce the trailer (I have an m416) around so much that it goes crazy cutting through the sand. Sometimes the behavior of the trailer is a little unpredictable at higher speeds in the really deep sand, but most of the time its pretty normal, which is what makes those odd ball times so alarming. You'll find yourself saying, holy cow, the trailer is swaying like crazy and I can't even feel it. So keep an eye on it a little more constantly. Still think it would be pretty hard to flip it or anything, but just figured I'd mention it if you'd never driven in deep sand with it.

The water crossing can be deep at times, but the bottom is pretty rocky and has good traction. I've heard one too many stories of hydrolocking engines there, though, so if looks pretty deep that day, its probably worthwhile to get out and depth check just to be safe.

Have fun! It's a great trail, solo or in groups. I've explored much of the area there, including the other trails that branch off the main mojave road. All the trails are pretty tame, and I never encountered anything that gave the trailer a hard time. So, don't be too concerned if you find yourself a little lost :). It's all part of the adventure!

Top Bottom