Bump stop question

colo dean

While looking over the Jeep tonight I noticed that the bumper on my front shocks were not solid but damn near all the way down. This got the wheels spinning and wondered if I am in danger of damaging my shocks. Please bear with me as I try to explain everything I measured. (Was a fire marshal and can tell you intricacies of the fire code, but sorta stumble when trying to explain Jeep related things) Rock Krawler 2.5" Flex lift that netted 3" lift. Bump stop supplied with the kit was 2 1/2" Shocks are Fox 2.0 with advertised collapsed length of 17.15"

Measured from the bottom of the shock body to the top of the bumper with the bumper all the way down and got 3 1/8" From the bottom of the shock to the washer on the end of the shock rod is 3 5/8 (difference is thickness of the bumper) This leads me to believe I have something like 3-3 1/4" of down travel left in the shock without damage.

I admit I'm kind of dumb with exactly how the factory rubber bumper inside the coil spring bucket reacts. But, from the top of the bump stop on the axle to the bottom of the yellow rubber piece is 2 1/2" The distance from the top of the bump stop to the bottom of the metal tube holding the yellow bumper is 4 1/8" I assume the yellow bumper will not completely crush but if it crushes more than 1/2" or so I think I could be in danger of damaging the shocks right?. Here is a pic of the yellow bumper and bump stop block.
20160220_203953_zpsuz3cnjqg.jpg

Should I look at swapping the 2 1/2" block with a 3"? Don't want to be bouncing off the stop piece and knocking teeth loose but also don't want to damage the shocks either.
Thanks for your patience as I stumbled through this.

jeeeep

Hooked
cycle your suspension to get the correct bump stop height:

raise the jeep as high as you can and put jack stands under the frame just behind the upper track bar mount, keep the jack under the axle.

detach the shock bottom bolts and let the shocks hang free.

lower the axle slowly and you should be able to remove the coils. remove the bump stop foam in the uppers stops but leave the lower bump stops in place.

attach the shocks, raise the axle as high as possible, when the axle bump stops makes contact with the upper metal bump stop that's full bump. check your shocks see if they are bottomed out, there should be at least a 1/4 of shock rod visible.

measure the distance to get your correct bump stop size.

try to raise the axle evenly on both sides.

good luck :beer:

Top Bottom