Jeep leaking once again. (Water)

JakeJK

Soft top/door surround top right corner of passenger door pours water right into my inside door handle. Has anyone has any success with buying new door seals? It seems like the water fills the void between the soft top and door surround and proceeds to leak over the ledge then through the door seals(dosent make sense to me) unless the door seals no longer are tight against the door surround. Which may be the case but idk how to check that except for knowing it leaks.

Thanks for any help

S_wall98

I logged in to post this pic and saw your post. Seems like the first turn I take after a rainstorm I see the same water leaking down on the passenger side that you're talking about. After that first turn it's seems to be ok though. That being said, my passenger floor gets damp quite often and this caught my eye when I got in today... Hmm

Attachments

• 0221161249.jpg
    0221161249.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 293

chipper

I experienced the same problem. Took it to the dealer, common problem they said. It's the seal above the windshield, when you close the top it sometimes rolls and gets creased, causing a leak. I now wipe down that seal, and close top slowly keeping it as straight as possible. Then latch it closed.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I've had a leak problem on my rig with half doors and a soft top. A guy from Jeep corporate flew down here to fix the problem after my 7th trip to the dealership to have the leaks (all 4 doors) fixed under warranty. I got a call from him stating it can't be fixed, and he got an email from Chrysler stating that leaks are common and part of the 'lifestyle', and that one should expect them when buying a Wrangler. Anyways, while waiting on a call from Jeep on the details of the vehicle swap they have offered, I decided to try to fix the issue myself. I bought some weatherstripping and placed it on the Jeep so that the door weatherstripping smashes against it, basically doubling the weatherstripping. It rained lightly today and no leaks whatsoever. It's supposed to rain here pretty bad Monday and Tuesday, so that will be the real test as to whether or not it worked. Anyways, some pics of what I did.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456107667.648159.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456107681.790813.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456107694.150621.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456107718.124056.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456107751.641567.jpg

And for the back doors
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456107784.472204.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456107799.848205.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456107823.244111.jpg

I guess I'll know by Wednesday whether or not it has worked.

JakeJK

I logged in to post this pic and saw your post. Seems like the first turn I take after a rainstorm I see the same water leaking down on the passenger side that you're talking about. After that first turn it's seems to be ok though. That being said, my passenger floor gets damp quite often and this caught my eye when I got in today... Hmm

That's exactly where mine leaks! But it has gotten worse recently and leaks from the top now too

JakeJK

AllAmericanInfidel; [ATTACH said:
189277[/ATTACH]

I also put some
Weather stripping here, but it seemed to just move the leak further back on the door. Really irritating problem because it smells like mildew now pretty bad
Pic didn't repost, I was referring to the second pic you sent

JakeJK

I don't have a soft top yet (soon, very soon though) so no experience dealing with this. But here's a link to the water leaks pdf...

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=25881

Ah thanks I'll see if I can find any of those seals or something. It seems like most of my foam is corroded or missing. I wish there were a new set of them. I bought the set from quadratec but it was only 4 small foam seals that go on the soft top and it didn't solve my problem :(

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
I remember a tech link had been put out by Jeep for leaking HT's and how to fix them; maybe the same exists for the soft top........ but what the heck, I'd rather have water seeping in my JK than oil pooling under a LR........:yup:

jknikos

I remember a tech link had been put out by Jeep for leaking HT's and how to fix them; maybe the same exists for the soft top........ but what the heck, I'd rather have water seeping in my JK than oil pooling under a LR........:yup:
:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::beer:

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

Lol, you mean your Land Rover ran? Shit, I got screwed then. On the upside, I've not been afraid to tear into any vehicle I've owned since the LR, that thing was a rolling mechanics course.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
My 2 door leaked in the same spot on both sides with factory soft top, when I put the Trex top nx on it never leaked again. I think my header wasn't pulling down tight allowing water to get in while parked. It never leaked while driving, don't know how that made any sense.

JakeJK

I've had a leak problem on my rig with half doors and a soft top. A guy from Jeep corporate flew down here to fix the problem after my 7th trip to the dealership to have the leaks (all 4 doors) fixed under warranty. I got a call from him stating it can't be fixed, and he got an email from Chrysler stating that leaks are common and part of the 'lifestyle', and that one should expect them when buying a Wrangler. Anyways, while waiting on a call from Jeep on the details of the vehicle swap they have offered, I decided to try to fix the issue myself. I bought some weatherstripping and placed it on the Jeep so that the door weatherstripping smashes against it, basically doubling the weatherstripping. It rained lightly today and no leaks whatsoever. It's supposed to rain here pretty bad Monday and Tuesday, so that will be the real test as to whether or not it worked. Anyways, some pics of what I did.

I guess I'll know by Wednesday whether or not it has worked.

Did this work? I'm getting really irritated about this. I don't want my jeep smelling like mildew and being wet all the time. It runs down my A pillar and then gets through the door seal somehow. I'm buying tires Thursday and don't have the money time or patience to take it to a dealership.

Jeepers46

Did this work? I'm getting really irritated about this. I don't want my jeep smelling like mildew and being wet all the time. It runs down my A pillar and then gets through the door seal somehow. I'm buying tires Thursday and don't have the money time or patience to take it to a dealership.

I have/had leak issues as well. I had already done the weatherstripping down the A pillar and that stopped the leak into my floorboard but i was also having water leak down the B pillar into the rear floor. I recently added the strips across the top like AllAmericanInfidel has and after a pretty decent rain yesterday I didnt have any water at all in the front or back. We are supposed to have some more heavy rain tomorrow so Ill try and update with the results.

KJ_CJtoJK

Maybe try applying silicon grease to the rubber seals.

I used to have a 90's Corvette and I had a water leak around the removable targa top when it was new. I took into the dealership under warranty and all they did was apply silicon grease to the rubber seals and it worked to stop the water from coming in. My brother worked at the dealership and he gave me a can of the GM silicone grease (a metal can with the application brush attached to the inside of the lid). I would routinely apply the grease to keep it from leaking. I still have the can and I applied it to my jeep door seals awhile back when I thought it was leaking and have not noticed any leaks to date. -- I have a hardtop

Last edited:

Ginz

I have/had leak issues as well. I had already done the weatherstripping down the A pillar and that stopped the leak into my floorboard but i was also having water leak down the B pillar into the rear floor. I recently added the strips across the top like AllAmericanInfidel has and after a pretty decent rain yesterday I didnt have any water at all in the front or back. We are supposed to have some more heavy rain tomorrow so Ill try and update with the results.

That's where mine leaks, yesterday found about a half gallon puddle on backseat floorboard. Luckily the rest was soaked into the carpet [emoji57] thank goodness for drain plugs. Do you mind posting some pics of where, how, and what weatherstripping you put?

Top Bottom