Intake manifold change

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Looks like I'll be needing to change the lower intake manifold gasket on the 3.8 here soon.

I cannot find a write up that's been done already from my search, and if one hasn't been done would there be any interest for me to do one?

Last edited:

Jeepers46

Mines leaking also and Ive searched for a good detailed write up but havent had any luck finding one. Im trying to decide if its something I want to try myself or not.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Finally got a chance today to clean up the suspected leaking area. Looks like there is oil leaking from under the bolt head that holds down the front part of the gasket. I got a wrench on it and tightened it a small amount so if this fixes it for a while i may delay on doing the write up. However if it continues to leak then I will be doing it here in the future. Will advise.

Jeepers46

Is yours leaking oil or water?

99% sure its water. My overflow leaks down very slowly and sometimes after Ive driven it and get out I can smell antifreeze. The water pump is good and doesnt leak so its not that. Its leaking down the back of the motor so its really hard to tell exactly where its coming from.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
99% sure its water. My overflow leaks down very slowly and sometimes after Ive driven it and get out I can smell antifreeze. The water pump is good and doesnt leak so its not that. Its leaking down the back of the motor so its really hard to tell exactly where its coming from.

Ahh gotcha. The gasket is really like a "valley" gasket and is tin. Its shaped like this " \_/ " in-between the heads and when you remove it it exposes the inside of the top of the block. I've seen them leak out from the water crossovers and make a pretty good sized mess. I would do the best you can to clean the area up and make sure it is coming form the intake. Unless you can clearly see that that is definitely the spot.

Top Bottom