Wheel vote!!

JEEP212121

I cannot make up my mind what I want... I need some advice so I can lift!! Are matte black wheels better or something else? What looks the best...... Spoke style wheels or bullet hole wheels? Go.......!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Black is just trendy now. It's what everyone feels they need to run and really, they are pretty cool but they're far from being "better". Just run what you like.

Jackal01

"Sprewells"...

But seriously, I like the machined/polished look. The Chamber Pro 2 and Trail Ready HD17 beadlock in machined/polished look fantastic. One of the two will be choice for wheels, hopefully this year. We also can't really tell you what to like...you like what YOU like.

Last edited:

303jkpatriot

"Sprewells"...
But seriously, I like the machined/polished look. The Chamber Pro 2 and Trail Ready HD17 beadlock in machined/polished looks fantastic. One of the two will be choice for wheels, hopefully this year. We also can't really tell you what to like...you like what YOU like.

hahah YES Sprewells are back!

Jeep212121, if you are going to be any dusty areas I wouldn't recommend actual Matte, it looks cool if you can keep it clean, but add in the dust and it makes it look like you have old beat up wheels (speaking from experience with some procomp wheels).

JEEP212121

hahah YES Sprewells are back!

Jeep212121, if you are going to be any dusty areas I wouldn't recommend actual Matte, it looks cool if you can keep it clean, but add in the dust and it makes it look like you have old beat up wheels (speaking from experience with some procomp wheels).

That's kind of why I was asking... I doubt I'll be in a lot of dusty spots unless I'm on trails which is expected but I was just curious what looked best. I do like the milled look but Idk about gloss

Havoc40

There's no better or worse when it comes to this...it's personal preference. I like machined/polished wheels the most. That said, being that my Jeep is granite and having tons of black accessories I thought black wheels looked better. They are a pain in the ass to keep clean, though.

Go with what ever you like, or what matches the "theme" of your build best.

JEEP212121

There's no better or worse when it comes to this...it's personal preference. I like machined/polished wheels the most. That said, being that my Jeep is granite and having tons of black accessories I thought black wheels looked better. They are a pain in the ass to keep clean, though.

Go with what ever you like, or what matches the "theme" of your build best.

Yeah my Jeep is yellow so I'm going black. Already put a few matte black accessories on it so I guess I'll stick with it.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
"Sprewells"...

But seriously, I like the machined/polished look. The Chamber Pro 2 and Trail Ready HD17 beadlock in machined/polished look fantastic. One of the two will be choice for wheels, hopefully this year. We also can't really tell you what to like...you like what YOU like.

Agreed. The new Pro Comp Vapor machined aluminum beadlocks look badass too. Depending on the color of the rig, I think polished/machined wheels look awesome and stand out from the crowd.

Zstairlessone

My preference is brushed aluminum looking, but based on what I see the majority of JK owners like black - probably 90% of the ones I see have black rims on them.

kbp810

Caught the Bug
I just deviated for the first time ever and ordered polished wheels instead of black... though I did still go with black rings, so wasn't really 100% committed to change, lol.

Ddays

Hooked
Another vote for unfinished aluminum! Waiting on tires but I've taken these damn things out of the box almost every day since I got them like a little kid with new toys...

wheel.jpg

JoeB-JKURX

Rock Rash

When I first got my 2014 Rubicon X, I thought the stock wheels were so unique and attractive. After the first few rock crawling trips (before I even got a lift and the trails weren't that hard), they were getting pretty trashed with rock rash. I see on this thread that, at least some are speaking about beadlocks. Beadlocks are pretty darn good as far as rock rash is concerned because the lock ring takes most of the abuse and it is replaceable. When I went to 35s and needed a wheel with less backspacing than stock, I decided to not go the beadlock route but wasn't looking forward to dinging up another set of expensive wheels. A friend had recently purchased some Level 8 Bully Pro wheels (17X9 with 4.5 BS) from Discount Tires (see the Level 8 Bully Pro writeup in the Vendor Forum, Discount Tire subforum) that has a scratch (rock rash) ring made out of thick (about 3/8 inch thick) tough plastic. The ring protects the aluminum wheel and is easily cleaned up with a sander or replaced. That's what I decided to go with.

To somewhat address the topic of interest for the OP, the wheels are black with spokes (and look great with dinged up plastic rings).

Last edited:
Top Bottom