2005 3.7L oil usage.

My 2wd 2005 uses a lot of oil. Somewhere around 1qt per thousand. Is this normal for older motors? I have 150k miles on it. I'm the 2nd owner and I bought it from 2 old people that took it to the dealer for everything so they have no idea as it was going in on a regular basis and not driven as much as I drive it. this id my dd with about 40 miles a day on it now and will possibly going up in the near future if I transition into a new position out in the field. I did just switch to hi mileage oil, I'm not sure if it is a gimmick or not but I thought I would try it. No leaks that I can find even with it on a lift and no noticeable smoke either. Any help is appreciated.

WJCO

Meme King
My 2wd 2005 uses a lot of oil. Somewhere around 1qt per thousand. Is this normal for older motors? I have 150k miles on it. I'm the 2nd owner and I bought it from 2 old people that took it to the dealer for everything so they have no idea as it was going in on a regular basis and not driven as much as I drive it. this id my dd with about 40 miles a day on it now and will possibly going up in the near future if I transition into a new position out in the field. I did just switch to hi mileage oil, I'm not sure if it is a gimmick or not but I thought I would try it. No leaks that I can find even with it on a lift and no noticeable smoke either. Any help is appreciated.

I wouldn't call it normal but Chrysler will probably tell you it is :D . I would call the dealer and ask them what normal oil consumption is. Seals and rings do wear over time.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I have a 2003 KJ with the same motor and 160k. I add a quart at about 1,500 miles after oil change and change again every 3,000 or so. My opinion is that you are seeing normal oil consumption due to normal wear associated with the high milage. I use normal oil, 5w30 which is what my motor calls for.

yeah they say its in specs but I've never seen a motor use this much with no leak or smoke. Even blow by in old airplanes isn't this bad.

I have a 2003 KJ with the same motor and 160k. I add a quart at about 1,500 miles after oil change and change again every 3,000 or so. My opinion is that you are seeing normal oil consumption due to normal wear associated with the high milage. I use normal oil, 5w30 which is what my motor calls for.

thanks sipafz that's right in line with me so I feel a little better about it.

scull20

I had a higher mileage KJ with the 3.7 in it before I got my JK. While it did consume some oil it was about a quart or so between oil changes at every 5000.

Before I turned it in I ended up replacing a bad valve cover gasket that was leaking pretty terribly. You may want to give this a look as from what I was told at the auto parts place, it's a common occurrence on those motors.

I had a higher mileage KJ with the 3.7 in it before I got my JK. While it did consume some oil it was about a quart or so between oil changes at every 5000.

Before I turned it in I ended up replacing a bad valve cover gasket that was leaking pretty terribly. You may want to give this a look as from what I was told at the auto parts place, it's a common occurrence on those motors.

Thanks, I'll take another look. So far I cant find any leaks .

WJCO

Meme King
I've used high mileage oil before, but never really tested it accurately as far as oil burning. I did it more for high mileage wear and peace of mind but it may have been snake oil. That was years ago.

Ok so the High Mileage Oil did work, sorta. Instead of 1 Qt every thousand it slowed down to 1 Qt per 1500-2000. I'm sure this is completely unrelated but I also developed a rattle/knock in the bottom end when over 2000 RPM. So I traded it in Sunday afternoon for the JKURHR I had been waiting on. Just decided to bite the bullet before it gave up the ghost.

WJCO

Meme King
Ok so the High Mileage Oil did work, sorta. Instead of 1 Qt every thousand it slowed down to 1 Qt per 1500-2000. I'm sure this is completely unrelated but I also developed a rattle/knock in the bottom end when over 2000 RPM. So I traded it in Sunday afternoon for the JKURHR I had been waiting on. Just decided to bite the bullet before it gave up the ghost.

Good to hear. Congrats!

Top Bottom