Name That Head Unit: 430N or 730N?

Marilyn

Hey guys. I picked up a touchscreen factory head unit out of a 2012 JK off Craigslist. I plan on replacing my base model 130 unit with it. I have a 2013 Sport without the Connectivity Package.

Can anyone tell me whether this is the 430N that will require additional parts to have functioning bluetooth or if I can add a mic and have it simply plug and play? I don't have a problem taking off the dash again and installing it, but I'm no expert on stereos.

Looks like he also added a Lock Pick. The seller told me it is wired up for front and rear cameras, but I don't know how you would activate a front camera.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Located in Jacksonville, FL. IMG_0785.jpg IMG_0789.jpg IMG_0787.jpg IMG_0786.jpg IMG_0788.jpg IMG_0790.jpg IMG_4765.jpg

4doorless

The pictures show an RER, or a 730N unit. The 430N is model RHB. The model is in the lower right on the front of the unit.

The RER (730) has the bluetooth capability built in to the head unit, so you don't need the external bluetooth module. You will need a microphone which plugs into the center plug on the back of the head unit. Your picture shows a black wire going to the center port (although I can't see what is on the other end of the wire), so maybe it came with the mic already. The lockpick should turn the bluetooth unit on for you.

You can get the documentation for the lockpick from the manufacturers website. Google jeep lockpick. This will tell you what all the wires are and where to hook up the cameras' power and video feeds.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that all JKs have run on the high speed CANBUS from 2007, so I don't think you will have any issues with this unit in a 2012. I had the 730 in my 2008 JKUR, and have the 430 in my 2016, since they discontinued the 730 in '16. Personally, I am partial to the 730 maps, but everybody has their own opinion. Good luck with it.

Marilyn

4doorless you are the MAN! Thanks a million brother. I knew there had to be a stereo expert on here.

The pictures show an RER, or a 730N unit. The 430N is model RHB. The model is in the lower right on the front of the unit.

The RER (730) has the bluetooth capability built in to the head unit, so you don't need the external bluetooth module. You will need a microphone which plugs into the center plug on the back of the head unit. Your picture shows a black wire going to the center port (although I can't see what is on the other end of the wire), so maybe it came with the mic already. The lockpick should turn the bluetooth unit on for you.

You can get the documentation for the lockpick from the manufacturers website. Google jeep lockpick. This will tell you what all the wires are and where to hook up the cameras' power and video feeds.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that all JKs have run on the high speed CANBUS from 2007, so I don't think you will have any issues with this unit in a 2012. I had the 730 in my 2008 JKUR, and have the 430 in my 2016, since they discontinued the 730 in '16. Personally, I am partial to the 730 maps, but everybody has their own opinion. Good luck with it.

james2003w

You'll also be able to tell based on the button lay out. The quickest way is that the 730N has a Nav and the Phone button is furthest from the driver. The 430N does not have a Nav button and phone is closest do the driver.

430N Pictured below
430N.jpg

TeamFaust

The RER (730) has the bluetooth capability built in to the head unit, so you don't need the external bluetooth module. You will need a microphone which plugs into the center plug on the back of the head unit....

Interesting comment as I have the RER in my 2008 and figured I was good to just plug in the Mopar Mic and boom Bluetooth for my phone (as mentioned) but not the case...when local dealership went to flash it for me to turn on Bluetooth features they said it was missing the required module ($300) which would have to be added in order to activate the Bluetooth for phone. Did earlier RER units perhaps not include the Bluetooth module and newer RER units do?

Looking to get the MyGig Lockpick Pro as this point. My understanding is that will unlock all and allow for back/front camera connection. For those that have used does this also allow the Bluetooth phone connection or is there still some type of flash/update that needs to happen?

Last edited:

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Interesting comment as I have the RER in my 2008 and figured I was good to just plug in the Mopar Mic and boom Bluetooth for my phone (as mentioned) but not the case...when local dealership went to flash it for me to turn on Bluetooth features they said it was missing the required module ($300) which would have to be added in order to activate the Bluetooth for phone. Did earlier RER units perhaps not include the Bluetooth module and newer RER units do?

Looking to get the MyGig Lockpick Pro as this point. My understanding is that will unlock all and allow for back/front camera connection. For those that have used does this also allow the Bluetooth phone connection or is there still some type of flash/update that needs to happen?

Newer units do not have an embedded uconnect module. A lot of people just don't include them when they sell them. Lockpick will not enable uconnect, you have to have the module or go aftermarket I'm pretty sure.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug

Are you sure you have the RER model? In the research I did before purchasing my mygig, I found that the RER and RHR models came with BT included in the unit. I replaced my stock radio with an RHR unit and all I had to do was install the mic. Works perfectly with no dealer flash needed. The unit I got was out of a 2014 so maybe that has something to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom