? With running two different sets of tires

adventure1

I have a few concerns I want to ask the community about the set up I'm pursuing. I have a '12 JKU with 2.5" AEV lift. My tires are shot and I'm looking to buy two sets. One being 285/70/17 (for road/daily drive) and a second set being 315/70/17 (for wheeling). I will run each set on different wheels for easy install. BTW I want to run two different tires sets for ease of fitting into the garage (with hi-lift jack) and better power on the highway.

I purchased super chip flashpaq. And have read all the gearing charts and forums. But I'm still concerned

1) Will I have any issues with the jeep computer if I do this swap often?

2) Will the flashpaq be able to assist on the swap quick and easy? I.e. With shifts and potential power lose

3) Have you heard anyone run two different tire sets before? Is this uncommon?

4) If I blow a tire on the trail will the smaller spare tire cause any major problems if I drive it back home from the trail? I.e. 3x 315/70 and 1x 285/70

WJCO

Meme King
I have a few concerns I want to ask the community about the set up I'm pursuing. I have a '12 JKU with 2.5" AEV lift. My tires are shot and I'm looking to buy two sets. One being 285/70/17 (for road/daily drive) and a second set being 315/70/17 (for wheeling). I will run each set on different wheels for easy install. BTW I want to run two different tires sets for ease of fitting into the garage (with hi-lift jack) and better power on the highway.

I purchased super chip flashpaq. And have read all the gearing charts and forums. But I'm still concerned

2) Will the flashpaq be able to assist on the swap quick and easy? I.e. With shifts and potential power lose

4) If I blow a tire on the trail will the smaller spare tire cause any major problems if I drive it back home from the trail? I.e. 3x 315/70 and 1x 285/70

I don't think you'll have any issues regarding 1) and 2). Not to common to run 2 sets of tires other than snow tires in winter, etc. I wouldn't recommend driving with one smaller tire unless you put it on the front (driving home in RWD obviously). You would be better off getting a similar 5th tire used on CL so you don't have to worry about the spare being smaller.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
We are close give me the 315's you keep the 285's then you do not have to worry about it. Where are we meeting!:)

1-3 I see no problems.

4 I have done this.

Wethy

I don't see how running a 285/70 and 3 315/70 would be any different then running a spare "donut" on any other car. Obviously with a donut your not supposed to drive more than 80km or over like 70km/h so I imagine it would be okay for a short period of time and at slow speeds. Although I'm sure not as ideal as running a full size spare just my opinion

jeeeep

Hooked

1 - 2... I have had the Superchips screw up and not install a tune properly when changing tunes for tire sizes. I was switching between 315's to 37's. It made my ECU screw up making it seem like the transmission was screwed up. I had to put in the original tune, clear the ECU memory then reinstall the tune I wanted. Haven't had issues since but haven' swapped between the tires as often. The superchips will not offer much for power loss, you need to re-gear to get back into the power band for the largest tire.

3. I used to run 2 sets all the time. shouldn't be a problem if you have a tuner.

4. put the smaller tire on the front. I'd try it near home to make sure. the newer systems seem to be more sensitive to changes.

adventure1

Jeeep-nice to know someone else did it and the help with the superchip. Wethy- I had the same thought. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
For all the money you are going to spend on tires, I would just get what you really want, and do a regear instead.

ZachJKUR

Hey Ben, we run two sets on 4.10s. No issues. I run 33's on the street and at school and save the 35s for trips like Colorado. Never had an issue switching between them. However I wouldn't agree with running two different sizes on a trail. Its possible on the front axle, but if you need 4H or 4L to get out, it will cause some damage to spider gears. I've never tried though so maybe someone has been able to get out with two different sizes and 4H/4L.

Top Bottom