Rear View Camera Monitor

whytiptoe

I tried to search and could not find anything. Has anyone seen or heard of replacing the rear view mirror with a monitor and camera setup? I am thinking once I get the larger tires the rear view mirror will be basically useless. Any thought on this?

Take a look at my build thread. The link is below. You can wire it so it stays on all the time but I currently have mine wired to turn on with the reverse gear. It is only part of the screen.

USMC Wrangler

I bought this on Amazon for $26. Fits over the existing mirror, has two camera inputs, you can wire the camera so it comes on in reverse or by touching the "On" button on the screen. And you can toggle between cameras. I have the reverse camera all hooked up and plan on installing one up front. Good picture.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005I7UQ4K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

I would love to see pics of your installation. I have zero plans to upgrade my stereo but would really like a backup camera.

lefty02

I'll get some pics first thing in the morning. I'll also hack out some instruction on how I wired it up. There are no instructions that come with it, but like I said before, I wired mine so you can view the camera when shifting to reverse or any time by turning on the display. Later.

USMC Wrangler

I'll get some pics first thing in the morning. I'll also hack out some instruction on how I wired it up. There are no instructions that come with it, but like I said before, I wired mine so you can view the camera when shifting to reverse or any time by turning on the display. Later.

Thanks! No rush.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Howdy: I've been looking at options as well. Best one I've seen so far comes from AEV. Their solution ties in with their camera ties in with their tire carrier; perhaps an alternative mount is viable. What I like is they include the software update tool so it displays on your OEM NAV or premium radio display. If you only have the standard radio, an entire replacement auto-dimming rear view mirror is included with the display built-in. Of course, for the best (that I've seen) solution, it's pricey: $680.

lefty02

I would love to see pics of your installation. I have zero plans to upgrade my stereo but would really like a backup camera.

Links for display and camera
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005I7UQ4K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

http://www.amazon.com/TopTierPro-Re...srs=13902263011&ie=UTF8&qid=1456593730&sr=8-1

I didn't take pictures when I installed it, but took some post-install pics this morning (below).

The display does not need to be powered on for the reverse function to work; it powers up automatically when shifting to reverse. Here are some pretty straight forward display installation instructions I came up with.

1. Connect the red wire to an accessory 12 vdc source so it only has power when the ignition key is on or in the accessory position. I used the power wire on the back side of the accessory power outlet forward of the transfer case shifter in the Jeep. I also connected the camera's red power wire to the same source so they are both powered on at the same time.

2. Connect the black wire to a good ground on the body or chassis somewhere.

3. Connect the blue wire to the 12 vdc power wire to the reverse lights. This will only have power to it when you shift to reverse.

4. Connect one of the yellow RCA input jacks to your camera.

'07 JKUR I installed it on
82A308F7-85E2-43DC-97F8-7EAC51FBE631.JPG

The installed display
EC1E7402-B03C-4CBE-B1AC-3C65DC7353A2.JPG
F0CCD9AE-9E44-4ABA-B103-ED35280919F4.JPG

Mounted the camera on the spare tire rack
CA4C7A51-2CB9-40B1-9D63-FFD868228AC6.JPG
AC5135D3-B712-4693-812E-EF395D3AD4BA.JPG

Manufactured a mount from perforated steel strap material
D8897983-1A6F-4F59-B469-F9B490C5C599.JPG

Ran wires under tailgate weather strip, under sub-woofer/carpet, then under roll-bar padding up to windshield
There was plenty of wire length supplied with the camera
CFBEB9C1-06B3-4858-94A2-3E28BDEC881F.JPG

The whole setup, display and camera was about $41. The display reviews on Amazon ranged from poor to excellent. I've had it 6 months and it works fine. Every once in a while, it will turn on by itself while driving, but so what. The reflective quality for mirror purposes are pretty good when the display is powered off. I guess it's a good alternative until you get something more expensive and better quality, but for $26, it's a good deal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom