Axle Upgrades on non-Rubicon

TennJK

Asking for some opinions on the d30 primarily. I am eventually moving to a take off d44 or a pr44, but for the time being I want to regear both axles and lock the rear. I already know and am ordering the EVO Gussets to be burned on soon. I don't plan on going with anything over 35 for a while. So leaning more towards a 4.88 ratio. Plus I've read that putting a 5.13 in a d30 would give more power, but run the risk of breaking. I'd like to ditch the dirty thirty, but I'll have to hold off until it breaks probably.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

jorgelrod

Hooked
Asking for some opinions on the d30 primarily. I am eventually moving to a take off d44 or a pr44, but for the time being I want to regear both axles and lock the rear. I already know and am ordering the EVO Gussets to be burned on soon. I don't plan on going with anything over 35 for a while. So leaning more towards a 4.88 ratio. Plus I've read that putting a 5.13 in a d30 would give more power, but run the risk of breaking. I'd like to ditch the dirty thirty, but I'll have to hold off until it breaks probably.

The Standard response here is C GUssets only and stay open on the D30. 4.56 is the ratio to take it back to stock, 4.88 will give you a bit more power. Both are still large enough on the D30 not break as easily...

swampdog

Same exact scenario and same plan. I have the 4.88 gearing scheduled to be installed March 4th with the ARB 35 spline locker going in the rear. Gussets being welded on at the same time. That's all I'll put into the 30 and run it until it breaks. I think you are on the right track. If you aren't going over 35, the 5.13 would be overkill anyways.

SainT-314

Can you put 35 spline axle shafts into a non rubicon rear housing? I recently upgraded the front and have been looking at the rear as well.

SainT-314

Cool, I thought I had read somewhere that the 1 1/2in shafts were too big. Now I've got something else to spend money I don't have on lol

TennJK

First off, thanks for the responses. I can tell that I am at least on the right track.

The Standard response here is C GUssets only and stay open on the D30. 4.56 is the ratio to take it back to stock, 4.88 will give you a bit more power. Both are still large enough on the D30 not break as easily...

Same exact scenario and same plan. I have the 4.88 gearing scheduled to be installed March 4th with the ARB 35 spline locker going in the rear. Gussets being welded on at the same time. That's all I'll put into the 30 and run it until it breaks. I think you are on the right track. If you aren't going over 35, the 5.13 would be overkill anyways.

Main reasons for even considering the 5.13 was there is always a thought of 37s, no matter how far down the road it is. I'm definitely thinking 4.88 just for the strength. Im looking into Yukon. Any other suggestions?

swampdog

First off, thanks for the responses. I can tell that I am at least on the right track.

Main reasons for even considering the 5.13 was there is always a thought of 37s, no matter how far down the road it is. I'm definitely thinking 4.88 just for the strength. Im looking into Yukon. Any other suggestions?

They are almost all made in the same factory in Korea, some just have different heat treatments. I went with Yukon, but have heard great things about revolution from trail jeeps.

I will eventually go to 37's on my 4.88s, but with the 6 speed 3.6 it'll still be fine.

WJCO

Meme King
If you're planning on getting a bigger axle later or even running 37s, etc, spend as little as possible on the D30.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
While it isnt advisable to do 5.13s on the Dana 30 it can be done. I would seriously think about it depending on when your going to get 37s. If it will be a while, then I say don't go 5.13s. If it will be fairly soon though I say go 5.13s and when you replace your front axle you will only have to replace the front gears at that time. If you go anything else you will have to regear twice. Now you would want to be easy on the 30 with the 5.13s and it probably wont last forever. If its going to be quite a while before you go 37s or even the different front axle then yeah prob go with the 4.56s or 4.88s.

Just something to think about since you mentioned 37s and a different front axle also.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

Are you buying the parts & taking it to a shop, or buying them & getting them installed the same place? I want to do the same thing, but have no idea what I need to buy. Oh, and BTW, that's a great profile pic. Whoooooo!

Last edited:

swampdog

Are you buying the parts & taking it to a shop, or buying them & getting them installed the same place? I want to do the same thing, but have no idea what I need to buy. Oh, and BTW, that's a great profile pic. Whoooooo!

Buying online and having a local shop install. Putting in gears, axle shafts, locker and gussets for $500. You will need a new carrier for the front, gearing and master overhaul kits for front and back

TennJK

Buying online and having a local shop install. Putting in gears, axle shafts, locker and gussets for $500. You will need a new carrier for the front, gearing and master overhaul kits for front and back

Is that labor for $500? If so I need to talk to them. That's a hell of a deal

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

We've got a good shop here, too. I thought you didn't need a new carrier if you had 3.73 gears. Thx!

TennJK

We've got a good shop here, too. I thought you didn't need a new carrier if you had 3.73 gears. Thx!

You don't if you have 3.73 gears stock. The new gears will work in the 3.73 carrier. My carrier is for 3.21 gears (stock) though. Swampdog and I are in the same boat there from what I can tell.

swampdog

You don't if you have 3.73 gears stock. The new gears will work in the 3.73 carrier. My carrier is for 3.21 gears (stock) though. Swampdog and I are in the same boat there from what I can tell.

Yup. 3.21 requires a new carrier

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I have D30 front, gussets and sleeves with 5.13's. Rubicon rear 44 with elocker and 5.13's.

I'll sell them as a package. :thumb:

Top Bottom