Bump Steer - Is it a matter of time?

I hear a lot of people talking about bump steer. To my understanding it is because of the front components are at a more drastic angle because of lifting the frame. I'm told when going over bumps or pot holes the jeep will pull to one side. I added a 3-1/2" lift to my JKUR and have never experienced this bump steer that everyone talks about. Is it just a matter of time before I do? or do those that have experienced it felt it right after adding the lift? I realize the drag flip will fix the problem but I don't see the reason to spend the money if I don't have the issue. Hope what I'm saying makes sense.

If it makes any difference my lift is the 3.5 Rubicon Express Super Flex with adjustable front track bar.

jeeeep

Hooked
I hear a lot of people talking about bump steer. To my understanding it is because of the front components are at a more drastic angle because of lifting the frame. I'm told when going over bumps or pot holes the jeep will pull to one side. I added a 3-1/2" lift to my JKUR and have never experienced this bump steer that everyone talks about. Is it just a matter of time before I do? or do those that have experienced it felt it right after adding the lift? I realize the drag flip will fix the problem but I don't see the reason to spend the money if I don't have the issue. Hope what I'm saying makes sense.

If it makes any difference my lift is the 3.5 Rubicon Express Super Flex with adjustable front track bar.

I've run an adjustable track bar for the last 5 years 3.5" lift and really felt no negative side affects. You will feel it when you go over rough roads, my understanding of what happens is it causes a tire to toe out so you feel that pulling effect.

I just installed a flip drag link so I'll get to get a better understanding if there's a big difference.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I have been running lifted vehicles for a long while now. My current setup I have been running for a few years. I have never experienced death wobble. I am very meticulous about ensuring everything is torqued to spec, and get under my rig with a torque wrench about every other month. From what I understand, death wobble occurs when components wear out or are loose. Also, there is no reason for anything to be at 'drastic angles' on a properly lifted vehicle. A good suspension will allow you to adjust things such as pinion angle, caster, and should come with front and rear track bar brackets or a DL flip, which would be the best option. Be on top of your maintenance and inspect regularly and you have nothing to worry about.

Ddays

Hooked
Bump steer isn't like death wobble: with bump steer you either have it or don't. Bump steer is caused by your drag link not being parallel to the rest of the steering components and its
an odd sensation people often describe differently. It's kind of a squirrely floating sensation where the body is moving oddly and not in phase with the suspension movement. It feels like you are being pulled around, especially as you go over dips in the pavement.
If you have a raised bracket then more than likely you won't suffer from this. Is your drag link and track bar fairly parallel when compared to your tie rod?

Last edited:

Journeyman

I have 3" of spring lift on my jku and I didn't really notice any bump steer for the first 10k on the lift. Not sure why? But after that it definitely started to get noticeable. So I just raised my track bar three inches with the synergy bracket and then flipped the drag link at the same time to keep them parallel. Jeep drives a ton better now, a lot less fatiguing now not having all the road in-put into the steering wheel. Also definitely noticed that difference Offroad too.

Bump steer isn't like death wobble: with bump steer you either have it or don't. Bump steer is caused by your drag link not being parallel to the rest of the steering components and its
an odd sensation people often describe differently. It's kind of a squirrely floating sensation where the body is moving oddly and not in phase with the suspension movement. It feels like you are being pulled around, especially as you go over dips in the pavement.
If you have a raised bracket then more than likely you won't suffer from this. Is your drag link and track bar fairly parallel when compared to your tie rod?

I don't have any symptoms of bump steer. I was just curious because so many people say after you lift up past 3" you will get it if you don't do the drag flip.

Ddays

Hooked

My original kit was the RE just like you have Shadow. Funny that you don't have the bump steer and I had it pretty bad.

I have 3" of spring lift on my jku and I didn't really notice any bump steer for the first 10k on the lift. Not sure why? But after that it definitely started to get noticeable. So I just raised my track bar three inches with the synergy bracket and then flipped the drag link at the same time to keep them parallel. Jeep drives a ton better now, a lot less fatiguing now not having all the road in-put into the steering wheel. Also definitely noticed that difference Offroad too.

Mine was the opposite - I had bump steer from the get-go. Mine went away when I got my new axles with the raised bracket and flip kit.

jeeeep

Hooked
you'll eventually feel bump steer.

I should clarify about the toe out - what happens as you go over rough terrain, including rough roads (potholes etc...) the as the tire looses firm contact with the surface the tire that losses contact will go toe out.

As mentioned by Ddays, this is the result of your drag link not being parallel with the track bar and also in part the tie rod. if you look a stock Jeep and a lifted Jeep with adjustable track bar you'll notice on the stock Jeep the angle of the TB, DL & TR all come together at the center line of the ball joints, if you look at a lifted Jeep, this is not true because the adjustable trackbar and drag link no longer intersect at the same point.

As a daily driver you'll probably not feel it as much if your roads are in good condition.

Desert Crawler

One thing that should be cleared up here is that bump steer does not affect the overall toe out/toe in on any vehicle. Your tie rod will keep that consistent. It will cause your vehicle to steer one direction as your suspension compresses and the other direction on the rebound due to the drag ling and track bar not being parallel and traveling in different arcs. This will not change over time. It is a function of your suspensions design/set-up. Either you have it or you don't.

Ddays

Hooked
It will cause your vehicle to steer one direction as your suspension compresses and the other direction on the rebound due to the drag ling and track bar not being parallel and traveling in different arcs.

^^ This. Thank you for stating clearly what I was trying to put into words. This motion is what makes the vehicle feel unstable/squirrely...

One thing that should be cleared up here is that bump steer does not affect the overall toe out/toe in on any vehicle. Your tie rod will keep that consistent. It will cause your vehicle to steer one direction as your suspension compresses and the other direction on the rebound due to the drag ling and track bar not being parallel and traveling in different arcs. This will not change over time. It is a function of your suspensions design/set-up. Either you have it or you don't.

Thank you for that post. Helps clear it up.

Let me ask you this, being I'm not sure if its related or not. I've been hearing a "Clunk" sound when I make fast stops or sometimes when I turn right. I have found the sound to be coming from my drag link. I can grab the bar and raise it slightly. When I pull back down it makes that clunk sound. Sounds like it's coming from the pitman side of the drag ling. Any thought or suggestions? Is that normal and I'm just now hearing it?

jkrichard

Thank you for that post. Helps clear it up.

Let me ask you this, being I'm not sure if its related or not. I've been hearing a "Clunk" sound when I make fast stops or sometimes when I turn right. I have found the sound to be coming from my drag link. I can grab the bar and raise it slightly. When I pull back down it makes that clunk sound. Sounds like it's coming from the pitman side of the drag ling. Any thought or suggestions? Is that normal and I'm just now hearing it?

That sounds like it's worn out if you have play in the joints up and down something has gone bad.

jeeeep

Hooked

this is a much better way to say what i was trying say :thumb:

Top Bottom