4.88 rear and 5.13 front

chili84

Just by looking at the title you know this isn't going to be good. I was driving around town and went into 4wd at about 30mph. All of a sudden I felt so much binding in the front that I immediately pulled into a parking lot. I hopped out and took a look underneath. I thought at first a tie rod broke and the tire was what the feeling was. Everything looked ok. I went back and put it in 2wd and drove backwards and then forwards. Everything was good. I went back into 4wd and immediately felt the binding again. I then went back into 2wd and hadn't had any issues yet. My question is with 2 different gear ratios could I have done some damage to the transfer case. The front drive shaft appears to be fine but I did notice on the input side of the housing some gear oil seaping out. I talked to the shop that installed the internals and they swear up and down that the correct gear was ordered but maybe the company sent the wrong one out on accident. I took it to a shop in town and they verified that the ring has 41 teeth and the pinion has 8 which equals 5.125 aka 5.13. The fluid that came out looked clean and normal. The part number that was etched on the ring states it is indeed a 5.13. The shop that installed all of this told me they will replace it free of charge for me which is good. They're great guys and just made a mistake.

chili84

Just by looking at the title you know this isn't going to be good. I was driving around town and went into 4wd at about 30mph. All of a sudden I felt so much binding in the front that I immediately pulled into a parking lot. I hopped out and took a look underneath. I thought at first a tie rod broke and the tire was what the feeling was. Everything looked ok. I went back and put it in 2wd and drove backwards and then forwards. Everything was good. I went back into 4wd and immediately felt the binding again. I then went back into 2wd and hadn't had any issues yet. My question is with 2 different gear ratios could I have done some damage to the transfer case. The front drive shaft appears to be fine but I did notice on the input side of the housing some gear oil seaping out. I talked to the shop that installed the internals and they swear up and down that the correct gear was ordered but maybe the company sent the wrong one out on accident. I took it to a shop in town and they verified that the ring has 41 teeth and the pinion has 8 which equals 5.125 aka 5.13. The fluid that came out looked clean and normal. The part number that was etched on the ring states it is indeed a 5.13. The shop that installed all of this told me they will replace it free of charge for me which is good. They're great guys and just made a mistake.

I should also add that I drove about 50ft with the binding going on.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Simple answer is yes you could have done damage to both the transfer case and the front axle. With two different gear ratios you should have NEVER put it into 4wd to begin with

chili84

Simple answer is yes you could have done damage to both the transfer case and the front axle. With two different gear ratios you should have NEVER put it into 4wd to begin with

I didnt know a 5.13 was in there. I told the shop 4.88 because that's what the rear was already at and my D30 was at 4.88, too. I didn't install the guts, just the housing.

Ddays

Hooked

I'd have these other guys check out all of the other shit that may have been damaged and replaced if it is. Then you can see how great they are....

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I didnt know a 5.13 was in there. I told the shop 4.88 because that's what the rear was already at and my D30 was at 4.88, too. I didn't install the guts, just the housing.

Then take it back to them and have them fix it all for free because they messed up, especially if your invoice says 4.88's. Have them go over everything to make sure nothing is broken. They messed up big time

chili84

I'd have these other guys check out all of the other shit that may have been damaged and replaced if it is. Then you can see how great they are....

I will. I'm going to have them drain the transfer case and inspect for any metal in the fluid, or chunks for that matter. Dynatrac said to disconnect the rear drive shaft and drive around to see if there's any weird noises heard. Then to do the same thing with the front drive shaft disconnected. I can't take it back to the shop till next week because I'm in Tennessee and drove here from Virginia. :(

WJCO

Meme King

Wow. I doubt damage was done since you've operated in 4wd such a little amount of time. Input side leaking where? Tcase or axle? When were the gears installed? I'm glad the shop took care of you, but ouch, they really should have checked that. And test drove the vehicle in 4wd after they installed the gears.........

chili84

Wow. I doubt damage was done since you've operated in 4wd such a little amount of time. Input side leaking where? Tcase or axle? When were the gears installed? I'm glad the shop took care of you, but ouch, they really should have checked that. And test drove the vehicle in 4wd after they installed the gears.........

Leaking from the back side of the pumpkin on the input side of the front drive shaft. Just a small amount. Gears were installed last week and about 1,000 miles on them now. I wish they would have test drove it too.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I agree. That's why I felt confident with the speed I was at.

Oh trust me I wouldn't even do t at the speed you were doing. I would do it at 20 or less. Also just because it's says you can do it at a certain speed doesn't mean you should or even push the limit

chili84

Oh trust me I wouldn't even do t at the speed you were doing. I would do it at 20 or less. Also just because it's says you can do it at a certain speed doesn't mean you should or even push the limit

Noted. Expensive lesson learned if I was paying for the repairs. Luckily I'm not. I trusted the shop and never saw the parts. I was deployed when they came in. Shortly after I got back it was ready for me to pick up and install.

WJCO

Meme King
I would never do it above 40. If your going any faster you prob don't need 4wd

Agreed ^. Shift on the fly, I would always keep it under 40mph. Truthfully, the slower the better.

Leaking from the back side of the pumpkin on the input side of the front drive shaft. Just a small amount. Gears were installed last week and about 1,000 miles on them now. I wish they would have test drove it too.

Keep an eye on that. Could have over-filled fluid. Could be bad seal. Could be improper repair and seal was damaged.

Thats a shitty situation. Hopefully they step up and handle it. Be sure that tcase gets looked at. If its fucked up, thats on them...

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
You went into 4wd on the road at 30mph?

That's pretty dumb.

Forgive my ignorance, why do you feel he was 'pretty dumb'? After all, owner manual says shift in/out of 4H is good up to 50MPH. Granted 'any' speed with mismatched gearing could be fatal, but that's a side issue. (50'something as I recall w/o manual in front of me)

I've had 5 4x4s now, all shift on the fly just fine. While I honor the guidance regarding when to shift, I'm more focused on going to a neutral throttle (minimal loading) when I flip the switch/lever/button/whatever actuator is. I like the JK's shift in particular: Nice, solid transfer with a solid yank of the lever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom