Spidertrax vs eBay hub centric wheel spacers

USMC Wrangler

PM Napalm. He had a bad experience with eBay purchased wheel spacers. I figure for the relatively small difference in price I would use Spidertrax. Btw, Spidertrax has a "blemished" section on their site if you want to save a few bucks.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Don't buy them. It's been a long time, but I remember reading a very thorough metallurgical analysis of the differences between spider and off brand spacers. It wasn't pretty. The savings isn't worth the risk.

Last edited:

Jrainsberger

Thanks for the advice. I'm just trying to save a buck if possible. It looks like they do use different alloys. Not sure what the real differences are, but I'm sure there is a reason why they are cheaper.

USMC Wrangler

Thanks for the advice. I'm just trying to save a buck if possible. It looks like they do use different alloys. Not sure what the real differences are, but I'm sure there is a reason why they are cheaper.

I hear ya on saving a buck or two. I have zero regrets saving for another week to get the 1.5" Spidertrax spacers, with probably close to 10000 miles on mine on and off road.

WJCO

Meme King
I do have the ebay spacers and have had them for about a year with no issues. With that being said, Spidertrax didn't make the size I was looking for. They are hubcentric as well. Sucks that others have had issues with them. I can't remember exactly which seller I bought them through.

EDIT: See my retraction below.

Last edited:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
PM Napalm. He had a bad experience with eBay purchased wheel spacers. I figure for the relatively small difference in price I would use Spidertrax. Btw, Spidertrax has a "blemished" section on their site if you want to save a few bucks.

Yes this. I did buy used Spiders and no problems. These off brand seem to use same material though. I would still by Spiders!

I bought some off eBay recently and it was the WORST decision. Tried to save a few bucks and wish I didn't make that choice. I installed torqued to all specs after 100 miles retorqued all nuts including the wheel lugs. Went up north about 80 road miles and 10 miles on a dirt road and this happens all the lugs sheered off and the wheel fell off in the middle of the forest.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456552686.498823.jpg

JeepJeep75

I bought some off eBay recently and it was the WORST decision. Tried to save a few bucks and wish I didn't make that choice. I installed torqued to all specs after 100 miles retorqued all nuts including the wheel lugs. Went up north about 80 road miles and 10 miles on a dirt road and this happens all the lugs sheered off and the wheel fell off in the middle of the forest.

View attachment 190263

Holy-Scary-Ass-Shit-your-pants-two-times!!! That is some crazy shady shit right there!! Imagine if that happen at 75 mph on a crowded highway. Wow!

catahoula

Caught the Bug
WOW!:eek: I have had my Spiders on my 2011 majority of it's life and I now have over 96,000 and they hold strong!

jknikos

I wouldnt try to save money on spacers. Thats what i tried to do and 3 lugs 'melted' like they were plastic!!! Luckily i found out before i lost my wheel!!! Cheap spacers is a big no no, dangerous for you and others :naw:

FLKEYSJK

View attachment 190263

Damn that's scary[emoji33], at least you were on a dirt road and not a highway!

WJCO

Meme King
I do have the ebay spacers and have had them for about a year with no issues. With that being said, Spidertrax didn't make the size I was looking for. They are hubcentric as well. Sucks that others have had issues with them. I can't remember exactly which seller I bought them through.

^ I retract this entire statement. ^ I had 5 problems I didn't even know were related to the spacers. Here's a story for you guys.

Jackal01 just sold me some used Spidertrax spacers. I had two reasons for buying them to replace my existing ebay 2 inch spacers that were already on the Jeep: a) my new tires barely hit my new fenders, I figured thinner spacers would definitely work for clearance. b) Hearing all the horror stories here, safety was in the back of my mind. I kept thinking 'What if one of these cheap spacers fails?' When Jackal01 posted the Spidertrax ones up, I jumped on them.

So I changed them out tonight. Everything went smoothly. Decided to go for a test drive just to be safe and make sure everything was good. The new spacers fixed 5 problems that I didn't even know where related to the old spacers!!!!

1) Vibration when braking, I thought it was warped rotors and just hadn't gotten around to it. GONE.
2) Vibration in general on all roads that I originally thought was tire balance, but new tires didn't fix, so I just assumed it was a coil issue that came with my lift. GONE.
3) Wandering on highway that I assumed was part of having a lifted Jeep with bigger tires. GONE.
4) The bump steer that I recently talked about in another thread. I drove the same roads where that bump steer always gets me. NOW 50% LESS OR BETTER. I don't even care about it anymore, it's that much better.
5) A 'powertrain' vibration that I thought was a ujoint or drive line angle after the lift. It would shake the whole vehicle but was light enough to tolerate. GONE.

In summary, DO NOT BUY CHEAP SPACERS! Spidertrax for the win again.

One more thing...in defense of the ebay spacers, being that my total axle width was one inch wider than it is now with the Spidertrax spacers, you could say that the wider axle caused all these above issues. But IMO, that argument doesn't hold. 5 problems fixed by changing spacers....I think we all know what the problem was.

Last edited:
Top Bottom