Possibly Need a New Radiator

JKStair

In the last week my 07 Rubicon has started leaking coolant. I thought maybe it was overheating and spilling out of the bottle but the temps aren't going above 210 and it's not coming from the bottle. I finally found what looks like a small leak from the upper driver's side of the radiator that is flowing down to the bottom. I'm going to pull it out and make sure it is in fact the radiator this week.

Are the Mishimoto Aluminum replacements worth the $$? The sales pitch they make is compelling but I was wondering if anyone has any real world experience with them.

RyanAZ

I installed a Mishimoto one in my 2008 a few months ago. Great fit and easy to install. My factory one cracked on the top of the driver side tank so I wanted to get one with metal side tanks.

JKStair

I installed a Mishimoto one in my 2008 a few months ago. Great fit and easy to install. My factory one cracked on the top of the driver side tank so I wanted to get one with metal side tanks.

Thanks, if it is the radiator I'll probably got that route.

WJCO

Meme King
Rather than pull the radiator, I would recommend buying or renting a pressure tester and locating the source of the leak.

RyanAZ

I 2nd WJCO on the pressure testing. Mine had a hairline crack on the upper hose neck where there is a vertical plastic support rib. Threw the old one away otherwise I'd have taken a picture to show you. It was a PITA to find at first, kept thinking it was the hose leaking. One note on the Mishimoto is that it's much thicker than the OEM so you have to trim the piece of trim that sits on the very top of the radiator. I ended up not reinstalling mine as it was cracked already.

JKStair

Thanks for the suggestion. I can see the coolant coming out of the radiator almost at the top of the driver's side and running down the length of it.

I'll look into the pressure test and see what I can find.

toxicwaste29

If you need to save coin you could try taking it to a radiator shop and having them braze the crack. I personally never have had this done though so I can't say how good of a fix it is. Whatever you do don't put liquid stop leak stuff in with the coolant

ScoobyCarolanNC

If you need to save coin you could try taking it to a radiator shop and having them braze the crack. I personally never have had this done though so I can't say how good of a fix it is. Whatever you do don't put liquid stop leak stuff in with the coolant

2nd this. DO NOT ADD ANYTHING. Just use Mopar coolant from the dealer. Search for "Know Your Coolants" in the write ups section.

JKStair

Thanks for the input everyone. Did the pressure test and I have a crack near the top on the driver's side. Ordered the Mishimoto and will hopefully be installing it today. I'll post up some pics when done.

Top Bottom