Air Dams: Yes/No?

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Howdy,

Been meaning to ask this for awhile. I see some folks maybe 10% of JKs in my area, with the OEM air dam. I never hear anything about them.

Are they worthwhile? Any real effect regarding turbulence? Or just good for show and trying to deflect bugs/rocks?

?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The air dam is designed to help with your fuel economy. Removing it will not only allow more air to drag on the underside of your Jeep, it'll also allow your hood to flutter more. That being said, it'll get torn off the first time you do any real wheeling.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Thanks Eddie...sorry for a misunderstanding...I double-checked just now...they call it a 'front air deflector.' The hood mounted deflector for bugs/rocks off windshield. Just curious if it's worth the money and actually has a benefit.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
And, yes, only reason my 'air dam' isn't gone already, is the first outings were in heavy sand in northern Michigan. Having to be tugged backward, down a hill, I was certain it'd be gone right then. Somehow it stayed on, but full of sand.

jorgelrod

Hooked
The air dam is designed to help with your fuel economy. Removing it will not only allow more air to drag on the underside of your Jeep, it'll also allow your hood to flutter more. That being said, it'll get torn off the first time you do any real wheeling.

This, and most aftermarket bumpers do away with them also...

Top Bottom