Broken caliper bolt

Ryldup

So managed to replace the rear brake pads just fine. Was a little beat, and decided to still do the front. Ended up shearing off the top caliper bolt. And now I know what not to do. What I'm wondering, is what do I do now? It was getting dark, so I put the wheel back on and rolled it out of the way for now. I tried searching, but apparently I'm a lone idiot in this thing. I don't know if I just need a new bolt kit and can work the old bolt out of the caliper? Or do I just break down, hahaha, and take it in to a mechanic to fix. I also found a rotor in the back I need replaced, so there is work to be done.
On a good note, the new wheel spacers look good on the back wheels.
I do not unfortunately have pictures of the bolt, but it snapped at about 3/8" in, right at the other caliper bolt head. If that makes sense. It's an 08 JKU Sahara, just for point of reference. Thanks in advance.

Ryldup

Plunger bolt. I'll blame being sick all week, getting up at 4am, and genuine lack of mental alertness to this one.

Ryldup

Righty tighty, Righty loosey, it's getting dark, blah blah blah. Let's just say I know better now.

jeeeep

Hooked
So managed to replace the rear brake pads just fine. Was a little beat, and decided to still do the front. Ended up shearing off the top caliper bolt. And now I know what not to do. What I'm wondering, is what do I do now? It was getting dark, so I put the wheel back on and rolled it out of the way for now. I tried searching, but apparently I'm a lone idiot in this thing. I don't know if I just need a new bolt kit and can work the old bolt out of the caliper? Or do I just break down, hahaha, and take it in to a mechanic to fix. I also found a rotor in the back I need replaced, so there is work to be done.
On a good note, the new wheel spacers look good on the back wheels.
I do not unfortunately have pictures of the bolt, but it snapped at about 3/8" in, right at the other caliper bolt head. If that makes sense. It's an 08 JKU Sahara, just for point of reference. Thanks in advance.

you can get a bolt extraction kit and remove it. you may want a butane torch to apply heat to the bracket (remove all rubber and thin metal parts 1st) any hardware store should have them - I know ACE, Lowes and Home Depot carry them

you can get a replacement bolt from the dealer or take the good bolt and try to match it up at your local auto parts store - I was at Pep Boys yesterday and they seemed to have a much better selection of misc parts then they have in the past.

good luck :beer:

Top Bottom