Jeep Chewbacca groan noise?

RWJeeper97

Help! I have a 2015 Jeep JKU, it makes a groan type noise in the am when I release brake after shifting from par to drive or reverse....it's not a transmission thing I feel like it's brakes or caliper or suspension. When I drive a bit it goes away...seems like it's after it's been sitting. Anyone else have this...it's driving me crazy...15k on the odometer, no codes etc.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Try this. After putting xmission in drive and the JK is at full stop with the brakes on, very slowly release pressure on the brake pedal and it will probably growl or groan a little at first. It's normal. Mine's done it since day one.

speed3d

Yeah it does that..does it ever go away?

It is just dust and corrosion on the rotors- it is humid enough where I live that it only takes a day or two and every one of my vehicles do this. Most likely driving it every day would lesson this, but the jeep does do this a little more noticeably than my others- maybe just because of less soundproofing?

Last edited:

trailless

Caught the Bug
Mines done it since the test drive. You can intentionally make the sound by letting it creep forward while applying little brake pressure.

RWJeeper97

Exactly....just wondering if my new jeep needs to go to dealer or that's what they do? New jeep falling apart? Hope not.

Albo

Mine has done it since day one. A buddy just picked up a new hard rock and it make the same sound. I think they all do it.

Tree Frog

Yep, brakes.
Mine has done it since day one as well.
Dealer said normal. No bad looking pad or rotor wear.
Currently just over 18000 mi.
Yes its effing loud and sounds like shit.
Just about embarrassing.

TFD

My 2015 has done the same thing every morning everyday. My brakes work fine. I wouldn't worry about it

Tnlrat37

My 2015 does it as well, only sometimes though. Usually when I'm just creeping though, I figured it was something rubbing on the pedal but I guess its normal

Top Bottom