Any years of 3.6 to shy away from?

Mtb275

As the title says, I am looking to replace my 08 with a newer one. It will definitely be the 3.6 motor, just wanting to know if I should avoid any years.

I have been one to not like the first year of a new model, engine, etc. Am I being paranoid avoiding a 2012?

Any thing I should look out for?

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I had a 2013 that had issues with the water pump going out. I think 3 times in a year. I now have a 2014 and have had zero engine issues with it. I have had it exactly 2 years this month. Hope that helps some.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Late 2012 is supposed to be okay, but I'm sure some people will say it isn't. There were early head problems with some in 2012.

mknlegs

I have a 2014 it's had several problems. Most recent it jumped time. Has 50000 ish miles on it. My buddy has a 2012 no issues what so ever. My other buddy has a 2014 it's been good as well.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Jeeps are like boats, too. Find one from someone that thought they wanted one, and then realized they didn't.

I have been one to not like the first year of a new model, engine, etc. Am I being paranoid avoiding a 2012?

There is being paranoid and being smart. I'd say it's smart to stay away from all '12s and even early to all '13s.

Then there are some of us that'll tell you to stay away from the 3.6 all together but that's a different discussion.

Hot94Z28

I think staying away from 12's is a wise choice. I have a 13 but think it's a mid year maybe a little earlier.

I think it also depends where you live and how you plan to use your Jeep. Seems to be wise to keep the stock air box if you live in a dusty area, maybe just a K&N drop in air filter at most. I have 42,000 miles on mine and no oil use at all and runs strong (knock on wood). All I use is a K&N drop in and plan on running a stock air filter if I wheel out west.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
My late 2012 has 55K+ miles on it. The left side cyl head was replaced within the first year. Since then absolutely no worries, with a big bonus of burning zero oil between changes. My :twocents:, the early 3.6's were almost like people, most very good and some not so much. Bottom line, I'd be cautious but wouldn't rule out a 2012 'cause there are lots of good ones out there. Good luck!:yup:

Bunz-o-fun

I had a 2012 JKU sport that needed the head replaced. After it was replaced, ran like a champ for about 20k miles. Then I got a 2014 JKUR. Have had the 14 for 27k miles with no issues so far. Good luck with the search!

n3tfury

I had a 2012 that had a few issues including water pump replacement and a cylinder head replacement before it hit 30k. I knew I would have some issues with the first year run of the 3.6 though. 2014 now so far so good with 40k on the clock.

Mtb275

Man after this, maybe I should stay with my 08. 80,000 and no issues. But momma wants something with nicer amenities, who am I to argue........

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Man after this, maybe I should stay with my 08. 80,000 and no issues. But momma wants something with nicer amenities, who am I to argue........

I don't think there is any reason to stay away from the 3.6. It's a great engine with lots of power compared to the 3.8. Like any new engine platform, there were issues early on. I'd say 2014 and above and you should be good to go. The majority of the issues were 2012 and early 2013. Of course, you can have issues with any engine of any year, but those years were where the majority of the issues were.

Mtb275

I was saying that more tongue and check, than anything. It does sound like late 13 and are better. I'm just waiting to find the right deal.

gary2

Carfax said left head was changed on a 2012 I was looking at so I bought it with 27,000 mile . Been fine .

IMG_2902.jpg

Top Bottom