Local jeep meet today, spotted something strange

Recurve

So here's me at the meet today
image.jpg
Sorry wanted to show off the redstag haha.

Anyways back to the "strange part"

Mopar new beadlock wheel, pretty sweet right?
image.jpg

Let's take a closer look.....
image.jpg

Yup.....
Now my guess is how is the bead sealed? I'm guessing it's using the inner lip of the wheel as the outside edge.

Pretty scary huh?

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading that the Mopar beadlocks were designed to be able to run as a true beadlock (using the ring to clamp the tire) or as a standard wheel with the tire mounted as shown in your pics. Regardless, that looks absolutely stupid.

JudeinPa

Is it safe to assume that this meet was in PA? If it was and the owner of the Jeep had PA plates then yes, the tire was mounted on the inner lip. I was looking at those rims but the bolt head extending past the ring didn't seem practical off roading.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Is it safe to assume that this meet was in PA? If it was and the owner of the Jeep had PA plates then yes, the tire was mounted on the inner lip. I was looking at those rims but the bolt head extending past the ring didn't seem practical off roading.

Doesn't mean anything. I'm in pa as well as rescurve and Hinrich and we all run beadlocks.

Tyler, that guy was probably trying to run it as a beadlock but had no idea how to properly mount them lol

Recurve

I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading that the Mopar beadlocks were designed to be able to run as a true beadlock (using the ring to clamp the tire) or as a standard wheel with the tire mounted as shown in your pics. Regardless, that looks absolutely stupid.

Okay well that makes sense then. Either way it's dumb as shit. Lol , just figured he didn't mount it right an it somehow managed to seal the bead on the inside lip. :crazyeyes:

Recurve

Doesn't mean anything. I'm in pa as well as rescurve and Hinrich and we all run beadlocks.

Tyler, that guy was probably trying to run it as a beadlock but had no idea how to properly mount them lol

Lmao your probably right Steve :cheesy:

Also this jeep meet was in West Virginia , but yeah I run beadlocks just like cozdude an hinrichs

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
So here's me at the meet today
View attachment 190559
Sorry wanted to show off the redstag haha.

Anyways back to the "strange part"

Mopar new beadlock wheel, pretty sweet right?
View attachment 190560

Let's take a closer look.....
View attachment 190561

Yup.....
Now my guess is how is the bead sealed? I'm guessing it's using the inner lip of the wheel as the outside edge.

Pretty scary huh?

Love your jeep how do you like your slabs? Is it a DD jeep?

Recurve

Love your jeep how do you like your slabs? Is it a DD jeep?

Thank you sir! I love my slabs! I've been wanting these wheels for awhile. Since ive put them on my jeep it's completely changed look, it finnaly starting to feel like "my jeep" lol Yes this is my daily ... 107000 miles now, still going strong :rock:

boostdtalon

I just recently saw a JK with those wheels. Thankfully this guy had them installed correctly. I would have been :eek:.

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
I wonder if they financed the wheels with their jeep purchase and that's the only way the dealership would mount them.

JudeinPa

Granted you can run beadlocks in PA at your own risk. To me it isn't worth getting a ticket for or run into a inspection violation. Just my thoughts and after running into a wheel spacer issue during my last state inspection was a PITA.

Benito

Caught the Bug
Assholes at a local tire shop who had "experience" with beadlocks did the same thing with my slabs when I needed to get a tire patched

Peak

Sometimes the rings don't sit flush with the tires like they should, some rings require shims to fill the gapping. I know my beadlocks came with shims for that reason but I didn't need them. But that gap seems a little to big, installer error id say.

Recurve

Granted you can run beadlocks in PA at your own risk. To me it isn't worth getting a ticket for or run into a inspection violation. Just my thoughts and after running into a wheel spacer issue during my last state inspection was a PITA.

It's worth the risk to me, especially when I'm off-roading just about every other weekend. If anything I have less risk of blowing a bead now.

I mount my own tires , also it's nothing to throw on a different set of wheels to get the sticker you need. Unless you have a reasonable guy do the inspection.
I've been pulled over before an cops never mentioned my beadlocks, if anything they complemented them an how great they look.
My tires also stick out past my fenders,When I take my doors off I have no mirrors, I don't always do the speed limit, Etc.

Govt is already trying to crack down on modifications , it's only going to get worse. What will you do then? Guess sell your jeep huh?:grayno:

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked

It's worth the risk to me, especially when I'm off-roading just about every other weekend. If anything I have less risk of blowing a bead now.

I mount my own tires , also it's nothing to throw on a different set of wheels to get the sticker you need. Unless you have a reasonable guy do the inspection.
I've been pulled over before an cops never mentioned my beadlocks, if anything they complemented them an how great they look.
My tires also stick out past my fenders,When I take my doors off I have no mirrors, I don't always do the speed limit, Etc.

Govt is already trying to crack down on modifications , it's only going to get worse. What will you do then? Guess sell your jeep huh?:grayno:

Funny, the inspection issue in Pa keeps rearing its head. I understand concerns so don't think I'm dismissing them, but its really interesting how subjective these guys are. I printed a photo of the new Dynamax Quietcrawler install Eddie posted on Rubicat this morning and asked my inspection guy if it was legal in PA. His comment was "I'd pass you." I also showed him photos of my Chamber Pros I just got in and the fender chop I did yesterday and asked the same question and he said, "No problem" on the fenders and "Can you please bring the beadllocks in, I'll mount them for free! We've never done a set of those before!" All about relationships I guess..

Recurve

Funny, the inspection issue in Pa keeps rearing its head. I understand concerns so don't think I'm dismissing them, but its really interesting how subjective these guys are. I printed a photo of the new Dynamax Quietcrawler install Eddie posted on Rubicat this morning and asked my inspection guy if it was legal in PA. His comment was "I'd pass you." I also showed him photos of my Chamber Pros I just got in and the fender chop I did yesterday and asked the same question and he said, "No problem" on the fenders and "Can you please bring the beadllocks in, I'll mount them for free! We've never done a set of those before!" All about relationships I guess..

Yeah for sure. I think some people just drop there jeep off at the nearest place an hope for the best. You have to make friends an alliances in this lifestyle, just like cars. You get into the scene enough you know the right people an who to hang out with.

Anyways, congrates on the chamber pros!!! That will look awesome!

JudeinPa

I would rather put my hard earned money into my jeep instead of the State of Pa. I admit beadlocks look awesome but I don't have the cash flow to have a spare set of wheels to swap out for inspections.

About a year ago I stated on the board that wheel spacers were not legal in PA and was told by a person from PA that they were legal. He explained to me that type that were illegal were the ones that take up the space of the studs and wheel adapters were legal. I found out that all wheel spacers or adapters over 1/4" are not legal in the State. I did find a guy who would pass me but told me that if I was stopped he would say that they were put on after the inspection. I use my Jeep as a daily driver mostly so why should I take a chance? There are a lot of Jeeps I see that look good without beadlocks as well as ones that look good with them. I am happy with the way mine looks even though it is a work in progress.

Top Bottom