Best skid plate setup ? Necessary ?

randomhero199

I'm in the home stretch of my initial build on my jku, getting ready to order last batch of parts. Looking at skid plates, and wanted to know what everyone prefers? Also, what all pieces are necessary, I don't want to end up with a bunch of unneeded protection, and weight. I like the looks of the Evo package deal from northridge, but wanted to hear some opinions first. If they're overkill, I'm happy to pass on them. JK is setup with Evo boatside bombers

side note: will the riddler or PS diff covers work with factory track bars that are running relocation brackets on the axles?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The EVO skids are nice as they will protect everything that didn't come protected from the factory. The factory skids will serve you well.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Wow I was just about to ask the same thing. So the Evo oil and evap skids should be the first to put on right?

JAGS

Hooked
Wow I was just about to ask the same thing. So the Evo oil and evap skids should be the first to put on right?

I'd go with the EVO oil and tranny skids first.

Your evap comes skidded. I actually like(d) the ps evap skid as it is slimmer than stock and thicker. The EVO one goes over the stock, from what I've seen. You can also just move over your evap and keep the factory skid.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'd go with the EVO oil and tranny skids first.

Your evap comes skidded. I actually like(d) the ps evap skid as it is slimmer than stock and thicker. The EVO one goes over the stock, from what I've seen. You can also just move over your evap and keep the factory skid.

The evap only comes skidded on 12+ models. The older models don't have one.

blackrubi14

I just installed the EVO Protek skid system over the weekend, happy with the set up so far.

Last edited:

Mtank16

I have a 2016 JKUR and just installed the RockHard transmission/oil pan skid plate. Easy install and very solid. If you are willing to spend more $ they have it in aluminum as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
They take a licking but the factory skids that come on your Jeep will keep on ticking just fine.

main.php

Of course, if you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, there are definitely aftermarket options out there that you can spend it on. :yup:

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
The only thing I was wanting to put skids on for now is the evap and the oil pan. Mines an 09 so I would leave the factory skid on if my evap had one.

Havoc40

I'm running the ProTek system. Had it on the rack this weekend rotating tires and noticed some newly aquired rash from sliding off a rock...did their job just fine!

Install pic
20150926_180009.jpg

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I installed a JCR oil pan/transmission skid and would not recommend it. Fit was crap and makes changing the oil a bitch. If I had to do it over I'd go RH or EVO. Agree with what others have said about the factory skids as well. Don't replace them until they're trashed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I installed a JCR oil pan/transmission skid and would not recommend it. Fit was crap and makes changing the oil a bitch. If I had to do it over I'd go RH or EVO. Agree with what others have said about the factory skids as well. Don't replace them until they're trashed.

Now that's an honest review. Thank you for that.

deadguy

I just have the rockhard4x4 engine and trans skid and its been great. Oil is easy to change and fit and finish was perfect. Paint is even holding up with the Northeast winters so far( where I didn't drag it on the hard stuff) with now chipping. Bolts are easy to access and protected where need be. That being said I'm in the stock skids for the gas tank and tcase club.

Steve's Rubi

I am installing the TnT aluminum full skid system tomorrow. (Actually Trail Jeeps is installing it.:thumb:) so we will find out by end of summer how it holds up.:yup:

mastrcruse

Have the entire RH4x4 setup on mine. The engine/tranny skid has taken a beating and is doing great. Just added, about a week ago, the gas tank and transfer case. The gas tank skid is a monster and I recommend someone helping you keep it in place while putting the bolts back in. I'd say the one that I didn't need the most was the T case skid, the OEM one is perfectly fine, however, OCD kicks in and need the entire setup to "match". After about a week, I had to remove my transfer case skid because it was connecting with my RSE t case bracket. I'tll work perfectly if you aren't running the RSE bracket. I'll be grinding down the corner of the bracket then installing the skid again.

My thoughts...
EVO or RH.

Engine/Tranny First
Gas Skid 2nd if you want. A buddy of mine had his warranty voided due to the messed up gas tank OEM skid so I decided to do it for peace of mind.
T Case Last if ever

Also, I've come to realize that my cross member isn't taking well to things so this might be something you consider while installing the Engine/Tranny.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Since so many of you seem to have missed it, the OP specifically asked if it was "NECESSARY". You liking what you've chosen to buy is not the same thing.

Top Bottom