Factory alternator or something better?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
So we went out and played the other night. I took the jeep through some water and did fine. Took another line and got stuck. The hood of the jeep was never under water, neither were the fender flares. It was just some nasty sticky mud that I couldn't get out of. I'm pretty sure I was setting on the axles. I got pulled out and went by the car wash that night to get it all off asap. Now the alternator is making a lovely bearing noise, I believe it got some dirt in it as there was dirt/mud/sand/silty crap all up under the hood.

So if I am replacing it, is there something better than factory? Or just go back factory? I plan on adding dual batteries at some point as well as more offroad lighting.

I looked on the Mean Green website and it looks like they dont offer one for the 3.6 motor. I just looked on their site as Ive heard of that name, have zero experience with them. Also electrical stuff is not my forte really either.

WJCO

Meme King
So we went out and played the other night. I took the jeep through some water and did fine. Took another line and got stuck. The hood of the jeep was never under water, neither were the fender flares. It was just some nasty sticky mud that I couldn't get out of. I'm pretty sure I was setting on the axles. I got pulled out and went by the car wash that night to get it all off asap. Now the alternator is making a lovely bearing noise, I believe it got some dirt in it as there was dirt/mud/sand/silty crap all up under the hood.

So if I am replacing it, is there something better than factory? Or just go back factory? I plan on adding dual batteries at some point as well as more offroad lighting.

I looked on the Mean Green website and it looks like they dont offer one for the 3.6 motor. I just looked on their site as Ive heard of that name, have zero experience with them. Also electrical stuff is not my forte really either.

Call Premier Power Welders. They have some pretty knowledgeable people that can probably locate a bigger alternator and discuss with you if you really need it. Also, you could drive it for a little bit and see if the noise goes away. You really don't need a bigger one unless you are running a welder or massive sound system.

jorgelrod

Hooked
I run a Genesis Offroad dual battery setup with my stock alternator without any issues. I have yet to see bigger alternators for the 3.6L, then again I haven't looked very far...

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Call Premier Power Welders. They have some pretty knowledgeable people that can probably locate a bigger alternator and discuss with you if you really need it. Also, you could drive it for a little bit and see if the noise goes away. You really don't need a bigger one unless you are running a welder or massive sound system.

I thought about them too. But forgot to check their site today.

I wont be running a welder, maybe a sound system but it wont be massive by any means.

I was just thinking if I have to replace it, might as well get something better if there is something better. If the factory one is fine, I'm fine with that.

jeeeep

Hooked
I've used Mean Green in the past and had good results. Find out which stock alternator you have, you should have the 160amp but some models came with 140amp.
Mean Green runs 220amp.

toxicwaste29

I just have a denso replacement on mine. My stock bearing also went bad from mud but it still worked fine other than that. I kept my bad stock one to have rebuilt just haven't gotten around to it. I figured a core charge and rebuild and I will still be cheaper than a new one

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Never give up your original alt. Most replacements are China JUNK!

It will be a better than stock one (if there is one) or a factory mopar replacement. There's a lot of things I won't buy aftermarket through the auto parts warehouses.

Top Bottom