Instrument Cluster Reset(?)

Spencer11496

Last night I was heading back up to campus from a weekend trip home and about an hour into my journey on the interstate my whole dash cuts off, the speedometer needle falls, and the radio cuts off; before I can do anything it all comes back on. Two minutes later the same exact thing happens. I pull off the next exit and pop the hood. According to my multimeter the battery was at 12.71 volts, which seemed a little low. I then checked the terminals and the negative battery cable was a tad loose so I tightened it down. For the rest of my ride, about 2.5 hours, I had my subwoofers turned off and rode in almost complete silence. It never happened again. I'm guessing it was the loose connection but I'm curious as to whether or not I should be more concerned??

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
Last night I was heading back up to campus from a weekend trip home and about an hour into my journey on the interstate my whole dash cuts off, the speedometer needle falls, and the radio cuts off; before I can do anything it all comes back on. Two minutes later the same exact thing happens. I pull off the next exit and pop the hood. According to my multimeter the battery was at 12.71 volts, which seemed a little low. I then checked the terminals and the negative battery cable was a tad loose so I tightened it down. For the rest of my ride, about 2.5 hours, I had my subwoofers turned off and rode in almost complete silence. It never happened again. I'm guessing it was the loose connection but I'm curious as to whether or not I should be more concerned??

Not too sure for the 3.8 or 3.6 but with the diesel CRD when the voltage is too low the dash display goes haywire and we get all sorts of funny stuff that lights up.....

toxicwaste29

Check the battery terminals to make sure they are tight. Those symptoms usually mean a loose one

Sorry just saw you do. The loose terminals were your likely issue

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
It was definitely the loose terminal. They are very sensitive to this much more than most vehicles. I had the exact same thing about 9 months ago

Spencer11496

It was definitely the loose terminal. They are very sensitive to this much more than most vehicles. I had the exact same thing about 9 months ago

Good to hear! I would definitely prefer to go on a spring break trip than buy an alternator or battery.

Top Bottom