Drive shaft bolts help

Kwwilly15

So I was in Miami today and just dropped the wife's jeep off to get a lift . We got about 5 miles out on our way back to the keys. I heard something break and every time I gave it gas . Something was knocking hard . I knew it was something in drive shaft or tire as I could almost feel the clicking . I got turned back around and went back to the jeep shop . So we got under the jeep and one of the heads from the bolts had snapped off ?? So the noise was the black clip . We removed the clip for now and put the bolt back in . All the bolts were very loose . There going to get the bolt out later in the week when the put my enforcer lift on but why would the head snap off and are those bolts supposed to have lock-tite on them . I looked for a thread on this but could not find so I'm sorry if I didn't see it . Just trying to fix the crap from previous owner of jeep.

Dave image.jpg

USMC Wrangler

My only knowledge is with the factory drive shafts...disclaimer over

My 13 rear had a rubbery compound in the bolts when I needed to remove it. When I reinstalled it I did use blue lock-tite, per the recommendation from Eddie.

If they were all loose, I'd imagine that's why one of them snapped. Have you or anyone else been doing any work back there at all? I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but seems odd all of them were loose.

Kwwilly15

No I haven't done anything with the drive shaft . I Checked them when I got home and they were still tight . It's going to the shop in a couple days and there going to go through it all . Ill monitor . Thank you

WJCO

Meme King
For all bolts to be loose, someone didn't properly tighten them. Is this the same Jeep you dropped off or another Jeep?

Kwwilly15

We dropped off my wife's jk unlimited This was off on black willys . I'm pretty sure the previous owner did this lift . I'm slowly fixing the issues . There all right now . And later in the week we're going to get the snapped bolt out .

WJCO

Meme King
If you have the funds, might be a good time to upgrade the drive shaft to s DC style. Especially if since it is lifted.

WJCO

Meme King
I've heard good stuff about reel and about Carolina. I've heard mixed on Tom woods. Hopefully others will have info. I was lucky that when I bought my Jeep , it already had the right drive shaft.

JAGS

Hooked
Not sure about the locktite, but I believe so. Those bolts do need to get torqued. My first guess for you would be improper torque and it snapped the head.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I've swapped out my factory DS several times. Never used lock-tite and never torqued them to a set amount. Never had a problem myself. My guess is they simply over tightened them.

Edit: I always mark the bolt heads and check them periodically.

JAGS

Hooked
I've swapped out my factory DS several times. Never used lock-tite and never torqued them to a set amount. Never had a problem myself. My guess is they simply over tightened them.

Edit: I always mark the bolt heads and check them periodically.

Weird, mine are marked too, but I didn't do it. ;)

Top Bottom