Power coat or paint

BLCK4X4

So I'm getting new fenders, can't decide between body color black or powder coat black? What should I do?
What's the difference between paint and powder coat ? Pros,? Cons?

Ddays

Hooked
Powder coat - $$$$, usually more durable, difficult if not impossible to touch up yourself
Rattle can - $, scratches easier, easy to touch up yourself.

What kind of fenders are you looking at?

DATSBAD

I do powder and it's not that costly . Less than good base/clear .
If just a straight black definitely go with powder

epetry

Powder coat will be much more durable but if you wheel your jeep nothing is going to stop rocks and tree branches from scratching. Touching up with spray paint is Easy fast and cheep.

Albo

I asked the same question several years ago when I bought my front and rear bumpers. I went with flat black powder coat and I am very happy with it. I got both bumpers done for $125. That was 3 years ago and they still look great.

Can you do power coat yourself or do you need to go to a shop? If you can do it yourself what brand of paint do you recommend?

Ddays

Hooked
Shops gotta do it. Very simplified: The process is that powder is sprayed onto the part and is then put into an oven for it to bake and harden. Its very durable.

BLCK4X4

Powder coat - $$$$, usually more durable, difficult if not impossible to touch up yourself
Rattle can - $, scratches easier, easy to touch up yourself.

What kind of fenders are you looking at?

The poison spyder crushers :)

JAGS

Hooked
A properly done powdercoat will always be more durable than paint. Some shops skimp on the prep to turn product, which can result in bad adhesion. Ive chosen to powdercoat my evo sliders and now my sport cage. Happy to pay a slight premium. But a local shop I've found has incredible pricing. [emoji106]

whispike

I asked the same question several years ago when I bought my front and rear bumpers. I went with flat black powder coat and I am very happy with it. I got both bumpers done for $125. That was 3 years ago and they still look great.

You got a good deal, it cost me $350 for just my rear bumper and tire carrier.

Albo

You got a good deal, it cost me $350 for just my rear bumper and tire carrier.

I thought that was a good deal. Originally when he told me the price I thought that was for each and was willing to pay it. When I went to pick them up he said that was the total price and it was pumped. They look great and still holding up perfect.

srosario

prices i payed for powder coating
1. two-tone poison spyder diff covers
2. front and back bumper with tire carrier
3. windshiel led bracket, hood led bracket
4. winch plate cover, (fairl) something.
5. 4 led pod covers
6. 4 d-rings
all for $650

Last edited:

tgoss

A properly done powdercoat will always be more durable than paint. Some shops skimp on the prep to turn product, which can result in bad adhesion. Ive chosen to powdercoat my evo sliders and now my sport cage. Happy to pay a slight premium. But a local shop I've found has incredible pricing. [emoji106]

In Socal? Do tell :)

BLCK4X4

Yes do tell???

Top Bottom