I suck at painting

LasVegasJK

So, instead of powdercoat, I decided I would rattle can my EVO rocker and corner armor. I sanded and cleaned the steel all fancy and by the time I was done priming them, I was convinced I was Picasso.
First light coat of Rustoleum satin black- no problem. I'm still Picasso. Second coat- eh, maybe I'm not Picasso, more like I really don't know what the hell Im doing. Third coat- pry gotta sand the lint, dust and three bugs that landed on them out.

Should I use something like 220? Or more grit?

swampdog

So, instead of powdercoat, I decided I would rattle can my EVO rocker and corner armor. I sanded and cleaned the steel all fancy and by the time I was done priming them, I was convinced I was Picasso.
First light coat of Rustoleum satin black- no problem. I'm still Picasso. Second coat- eh, maybe I'm not Picasso, more like I really don't know what the hell Im doing. Third coat- pry gotta sand the lint, dust and three bugs that landed on them out.

Should I use something like 220? Or more grit?

The satin makes it so much harder to finish due to the sheen. If you are looking for an easier application, try the hammered finish or bed liner, both rustoleum. If you are sold on the satin, yes, I would be thorough with the 220 grit and try again.

LasVegasJK

The satin makes it so much harder to finish due to the sheen. If you are looking for an easier application, try the hammered finish or bed liner, both rustoleum. If you are sold on the satin, yes, I would be thorough with the 220 grit and try again.

Thanks, I'll check into the those. I'm not set on the finish. Just don't want the dust lint spider leg texture.

swampdog

Thanks, I'll check into the those. I'm not set on the finish. Just don't want the dust lint spider leg texture.

So, I can say that I have painted a few things outside before and if a few things get in be paint, LEAVE THEM until it dries. Gently brush it off after that coat dries and proceed with the next coat. Do not try to "pick" it off when the paint is still wet. That being said, anything with the hammered or bed liner texture hides that kind of stuff much better. Good luck my friend.

Make sure you're cleaning the tip in between coats. Some cans you can turn upside down and spray unit product stops flowing. Others you will have to rub the nozzle with a rag that has some type of cleaner on it.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Hey Picasso how's about some pics? Check dry time you might have a problem with lifting. Usually, you sand primer for example with 400-600 before painting.

LasVegasJK

Hey Picasso how's about some pics? Check dry time you might have a problem with lifting. Usually, you sand primer for example with 400-600 before painting.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456945167.299155.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456945181.452022.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456945196.868924.jpg this is where the giant bug creature was trying to murder me. I had to wipe it off before it squirmed around the whole unit. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456945449.291852.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456945288.395313.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456945220.672564.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456945220.672564.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 395

Jackal01

I did the same, exaxt things same issues with my PSC bumpers and EVO skins. Looks like ass. I did Rustoleum on EVO Sliders and PSC tire carrier....bedline was the better route. Thus year I'm going to have the bumpers sand blasted and I'll repaint with bedline. Skins I am going to leave alone and just deal with it since a couple nutserts are fucked up (by me during install).

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Ok brother. I am going to try to give you some tips. It can be fixed no biggie. When you paint with spray bombs or gun always go a full pass then go down about half way then go back. If you go too fast or too far away from substrate you will get dry coats. That will give the appearance of rough surface. I hope I am making sense to you. Always give flash time between coats. Take into consideration the temp. of substrate. If it is cold it could take coats longer to dry. Take your time spraying and do not rush. I hope this helps a little.:beer:

spray.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Let it dry and sand between coats. Also, if you use a textured paint (like a bedliner style), it will hide a lot of the imperfections.

LasVegasJK

Let it dry and sand between coats. Also, if you use a textured paint (like a bedliner style), it will hide a lot of the imperfections.

Pry gonna do the bedliner paint.
Anyone know how the touch ups are with the bedliner?

catahoula

Caught the Bug

You do not need to sand between coats. Adequate flash (dry) times between coats would take care of that.

jeeeep

Hooked
:cheesy: I like the Picasso, I know that feeling of confidence..i can do this, it'll only take an hour (2 days later :doh:)

did you clean it off with acetone before the primer?

light coats, overlap and wait at least 5-10 minutes between coats...shake that can regulary and keep spraying past the end of your bumper before stopping...nice long even sweeps

I hung plastic around my spraying area to keep the bugs away - also put a light outside the plastic makeshift paint room to draw the bug to that light instead of the garage light.

and a year later I took it off and send it along with my rock rails to powder coat lol

Havoc40

and a year later I took it off and send it along with my rock rails to powder coat lol

Haha I did the same with my rocker skins but, I didn't make it maybe 2 months. Although, their 1st attempt wasn't much better. They powder coated them wrinkle black instead of fine textured black like everything else they've done for me. Almost 2 months later I got what I wanted :doh:

Last edited:

LasVegasJK

:cheesy: I like the Picasso, I know that feeling of confidence..i can do this, it'll only take an hour (2 days later :doh:)

did you clean it off with acetone before the primer?

light coats, overlap and wait at least 5-10 minutes between coats...shake that can regulary and keep spraying past the end of your bumper before stopping...nice long even sweeps

I hung plastic around my spraying area to keep the bugs away - also put a light outside the plastic makeshift paint room to draw the bug to that light instead of the garage light.

I used denatured alcohol to clean the steel.
Where I live and wheel, I'll likely be doing touch up work quite frequently, so the price of powdercoat isn't appealing.
I'm gonna try again.
It's only considered failure after you quit trying.

Top Bottom