CB Tuning

whytiptoe

So I spoke today to a local shop that installs all the cities police and fire radios. Spoke to him about installing my CB due to my work schedule, no a bad price in the install but I asked him about tuning the antenna if I installed it. He said that it's a waste of time and not needed. I don't see how this is possible sense every article says this needs to be done to ensure you do not damage the CB.

Last edited:

MattMc

I'm with you. I don't think he is correct. I am a Paramedic, and the radios on our ambulances are UHF, which is a whole different ball game and require FCC license. They still require an antenna though. But then again, everything I know about CBs I learned from the Internet, and we know how that goes.

Warebear

He said that an antenna is not needed? That doesn't make sense. Everything I have ever heard about CB radios, the antenna is the most important piece.

Flexy

King Retard
That doesn't sound right. In fact, I thought an SWR of 2.5 or greater could damage the CB. Before tuning, my CB had readings of 3.0+ on most of the channels.

whytiptoe

That doesn't sound right. In fact, I thought an SWR of 2.5 or greater could damage the CB. Before tuning, my CB had readings of 3.0+ on most of the channels.

That is my understanding as well, I'm just confused that the place that installs the police and fire in a good size city says it is not needed.

Warebear

It only takes a few minutes to tune, no reason not to. Even if it's not needed, better safe than sorry. I noticed a huge difference on mine before and after tuning it.

Me_The_people

Yeah definitely tune it. Mine has a built in swr meter. Cobra 29 Lx bt. They work fairly well. Follow the instructions for the radio but you shouldn't need to adj the antenna if the meter adj's. 9/10 They're close enough already. You need a open area and ten mins the first time around.

Stick

If your looking to get any kind of range from your CB it should be peaked & tuned and your antenna should be tuned. I'm a truck driver and I've gone from a 2 mile range to 17 mile range having everything adjusted properly. I think I would find someone else to work on my CB, this guy doesn't know what he's doing.

Uncle Jimmy

Most antennas need too be tuned to the radio and vehicle it is on.... Has to do with ground plane and wave range ( sciency stuff).... But for all intensive purposes an SWR READING of 1.7 or lower is ideal... Now with that being said most of you are running wranglers or older Cherokees...

I'm going to suggest the 2 following antennas for either just about any set up on a jeep....

-Francis 4ft
-Little Wilson w/ magnetic mount

Both are very capable and very solid antennas for off-road use, with the Francis being a PRE TUNED antenna it basically plug 'n play....

The 'little Wilson' is about the same but you may have too cut the end of the stinger off about 1/2-1.5 inches too get the best SWR for your set up...

Also it is very wise to use 18ft of coax cabling for ANY antenna too achieve the lowest SWR possible, the WILSON already has this included.

Just remember when tuning SWR your goal is to be lower than 1.7 on your reading... Once you have this you'll be set for the trails or road trip.

Hope this helps.

Uncle Jimmy

WarriorJeep

If nothing else Music City CB Shop can provide you the correct info which you did not get from the other shop which clearly only understands uhf and vhf, and for the record those need tunes to get swr down too.

My 2m yaesu sits at 1.8/1 swr, my Uniden CB 1.3/1 all because I took the time.

Just sayin

whytiptoe

If nothing else Music City CB Shop can provide you the correct info which you did not get from the other shop which clearly only understands uhf and vhf, and for the record those need tunes to get swr down too.

My 2m yaesu sits at 1.8/1 swr, my Uniden CB 1.3/1 all because I took the time.

Just sayin

Looks like they are closed, does anyone have their number.

Me_The_people

Yeah but on a jk were talking terrible places to mount and it's not a tractor with a 15' antenna height for 17 miles of theoretical line of sight. If your trying to use it like that good I do but it's terribly challenging with cb on the 4 watts. If you want range buy a 2meter radio and get a hamster license. I wish more peeps would.

Top Bottom