Possible driveshaft issue

rogerk93

For a while now I been having a thump sound coming from underneath the center of my jeep when I drive at decent speed on rough road. Happens often on the highway and hardly when wheeling. First I thought I was a bad transmission or transfer case mount but disregarded it as it was for a split second then went away now it happens more often and for longer periods of time. Looking under banging on everything and trying to remake the sound and nothing. Pulled and push on my rear driveshaft and it is stiff with no play at all but the front has some play when I push and pull on it at the transfer case side. Could it be a bad driveshaft? I'm installing my Currie lift as soon as it is delivered. If it is the driveshaft I want the dealer to replace it before they point fingers.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Have you check your unit bearings, lug nuts, sway bar bolts? All make a thump noise.

Easy way to check driveshafts is pull one (front or rear) drive it, repeat with the other.

rogerk93

Have you check your unit bearings, lug nuts, sway bar bolts? All make a thump noise.

Easy way to check driveshafts is pull one (front or rear) drive it, repeat with the other.

All the bolts are tight I haven't checked the unit bearing. It is coming from directly under my center console. I think I have to pull the drive shaft and check that because that's the only thing that has play in it and when it moved it back and forth it made a slight noise.

jeeeep

Hooked
check your skid plate bolts, use a wrench don't rely on just how it feels. you can also pull the driveshaft and see if it goes away

lefty02

Not sure of your rig setup, but my 07 JKUR was doing that one time. After checking all the things already mentioned, I figured out that the swaybar disconnect didn't fully engage the last time I used it. I recycled the disconnect switch and all was well. I guess the disconnect solenoid was clanking every time I hit a bump. Sounded like the entire steering package was coming apart.

Top Bottom