Power Steering On JK

I was out playing in the desert this morning and there was a high pitch whining noise when in full lock.
Let the car sit for a bit and the noise went.

Now the steering is really heavy when foot isn't on the accelerator.

There is no power steering fluid leaking anywhere.

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Jordan

jeeeep

Hooked
I was out playing in the desert this morning and there was a high pitch whining noise when in full lock.

Cheers Jordan

the reservoir is full? the high pitch is your power steering pump, if the reservoir is full you'll need a new power steering pump.

WJCO

Meme King
I have seen limited slip diffs cause some weird steering issues after locking up, but hard to say. If you have open diffs, well then it's for sure a ps pump concern.

jims68

Just what I was thinking. Broke a pump with open differentials doing this. Broke right inside pump where spline drive begins. Maybe you twisted yours?

rogerk93

Cheers Jordan

I just had this problem had the same exact noise and heavy steering when not pressing on the gas. I had a bad power steering pump. So I suspect yours has gone bad

Grubbicon

Not donuts but was drifting around. Do you think a pump replacement is ok or should I upgrade while I have the chance?
If you intended to go any bigger then 35s I would definitely take this time to go to ram assist. I know when I ran 37s I didn't have it and it was miserable. I constantly found myself "along for the ride" when the front was locked.

I was thinking of upgrading to the PSC High Volume Steering Pump Kit.
Was just wondering if anyone else has personally fitted the kit, and how easy it was?

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Just the pump or the whole hydro assist kit? Adding the high flow pump with everything else stock is waste of money.

If whole kit, how hard depends on which engine you have. The 3.6 requires some major airbox mods or cai (dont recommend that)

I was going to upgrade the pump and reservoir. I have an aftermarket cone intake fitted which according to their website will be fine for installation

jeeeep

Hooked
it will keep the fluid flowing and a little cooler but I'd also install a fin cooler. then you'll be ready for the assist ram when that time comes.

Recurve

I remembered when I snapped my powersteering pulley doing donuts. Lesson learned that day, didn't realize a jeep can't handle a few donuts lol.:crazyeyes:

Ddays

Hooked
Just the pump or the whole hydro assist kit? Adding the high flow pump with everything else stock is waste of money.

If whole kit, how hard depends on which engine you have. The 3.6 requires some major airbox mods or cai (dont recommend that)

^^^ the first sentence. Do the whole system or just live with the stock system.

You can get the reservoir jammed in but it will be a major pain in the ass to change the air filter. I'm sure the first time I go to do that I will be online
ordering a CAI from somewhere....

res.jpg

Top Bottom