Arc welding machine

rogerk93

I'm waiting on my lift to get delivered and need to weld the track bar brackets. What's a good cheap arc welding machine I can buy to practice and use it on my jeep while I wait

epetry

There is no such thing as good and cheep. Probably want to get a MIG welder with some 75% argon and 25% CD gas. Miller, rebel, Hobart are all good brands.

Jeepnoub

I agree with ^^^^^

That said get ready to spend Atleast around $700 for a full set up that is 220v. I've been in a similar situation with welding on my sliders. Luckily a friend has let me borrow his setup. I have a 110v 130 amp welder and it just doesn't do what I want for that application.

I have heard good things about the mig 180 at harbor freight a out $250 i think. Only reason I haven't bought one is because I want a welder that goes upto 250 amp for future projects I want to do.

rogerk93

Yea I guess nothing cheap is good. But a decent set up is expensive I rather put that money into my jeep. There are local shops that can do it for a decent price but I would love to know how to weld.

WJCO

Meme King
You can buy a decent 110v Lincoln with flux-core for farting around with. It isn't the greatest but is a decent brand for small stuff.

Jeepnoub

Yea I guess nothing cheap is good. But a decent set up is expensive I rather put that money into my jeep. There are local shops that can do it for a decent price but I would love to know how to weld.

Check with the local community college and take an intro to welding class. It's worth every penny.

You can find the 220v harbor freight welders for around $150 or so on Craigslist. Just get good name brand wire from what I hear. And you could get away with using flux core instead of gas, just not a pretty.

Azzi

If you buy a "cheap but good" welder, you will end up spending more on a name brand welder. You can even find a good name brand welder on Craigslist. I bought my Miller Challenger 170 for $400 5 years ago. I weld a lot and would buy another Challenger any day.

Albo

You can buy a decent 110v Lincoln with flux-core for farting around with. It isn't the greatest but is a decent brand for small stuff.

I have one of these and like it a lot. The one I have uses the flux-core or you can hook up a gas bottle if you want.

GR8WHITE

Your best bet for "cheap" and good would be to search your local CL for a used mig. Miller, Lincoln or Hobart

lefty02

Welded my rear track-bar bracket with the harbor freight 90amp, 110vac flux core unit and it did fine. It's as good as some name brand equipment except the wire that comes with it sux. Bought some Lincoln wire at Home Depot, and the unit was less than $100 at HF. That's about as heavy, project wise, I think it will handle.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
To be honest. You really should take a welding class. Once you get going in the world of welding, you will realize you should have never of wasted money on a cheap welder. Like other have mentioned if you can find a good welder on Craigslist on the cheap that would be your best route. If you want to spend the money. The new Miller 211 is an awesome machine. But really the welding class will give you the best idea of what you will want.

mcgyvr

I use the Harbor Freight MIG/Wire Feed welder (The 180 Amp 220V unit) and it works great..
Can easily do 1/4" steel.
Done rock sliders for 2 jeeps (JK/ZJ), front/rear bumpers for the ZJ,etc...
For the price its hard to beat.. yes if I was welding all the time then it might be worth it to get a "Miller or Lincoln" but for my needs it works perfect..

Just picked up the 12 ton HF "pipe bender" last night too and bent up a front light bar to go on the stock JK bumper.. Worked great too.. No "crushing" at all..

IMO Harbor Freight stuff works great for the average "weekend warrior"..

Top Bottom