Ground Zero NYC

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I'm sure there's a thread or two on here regarding this but I don't think there could ever be enough. Today my wife and I spent a good part of the day at the 9/11 memorial and the museum. Growing up on the west coast, I never had such a personal connection with what happened on that fateful day. I really can't express the emotions I felt today. I'm really a pretty unemotional person but I'd have to say if you could walk through this area without a tear well up or a lump in your throat there must be something wrong with you. I'd just like to express my gratitude to all the first responders and the families affected by the events of 9/11. All them will be in my thoughts and prayers for the rest of my days. Today has made a major impact on my life and I will never forget. I took very few pictures but this one really got to me. This is the last column and probably made the biggest impact to me. God Bless America.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457326284.577033.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
This museum is one of the most gut wrenching places I have ever been. I went right after it opened. It was packed tight and you could still hear a pin drop. The place is amazing

JAGS

Hooked
I've been twice since 9-11, once with my wife while they were still clearing the site and again with my kids about a year and half ago. The water falls at the original building sites are beyond words as well.

el_chupo_

I was there in January of 2002, long before they had the area cleared. Went with a small group from my college as an outreach project to help where we could (small Christian university). We did some touristy stuff, saw the empire state building, ferry by the Statue of Liberty (closed due to the attacks), and a few other things. But the most vivid memory I have was when we got to the site, and I was able to look into the hole where they were clearing things, see the buildings surrounding the site, still with holes or plywood sheets covering windows, and all the flowers/stuffed animals/letters/trinkets along the fences.

I have not made it back to go to the museum, but it is on the list.

Ddays

Hooked
I have a hard time visiting these places. I get not only choked up but flat out pissed off miserable mad as well.
I pass by the Flight 93 Memorial in Stoystown, Pa (near Johnstown) at least once a month and as much as I want to,
I won't stop. I'd be worthless the rest of the day.

Journeyman

I totally understand the being disconnected being on the west coast. I do remember those days very clearly though.
I visited the memorial site after touring Ellis island (a must see by the way) the memorial was still under construction so there wasn't much to see. Afterward I went into an Irish pub across the street that's located in one of the very few buildings that wasn't destroyed. I went to the bar in the back ordered a beer and food and noticed a photo album on the bar.
Anyways long story short this large photo album was filled with personal pictures, newspaper clippings etc. All things that did not make it to the west coast during that time. Extremely emotional and moving two hours I sat at the Irish pub talking with the bartender about life and 911! I can't remember the name of the place, but it's across the street on the east of the monument. There's two bars in the pub. Go to the one in the back.

Dubzy

They really did a great job on that memorial. I can still remember when it happened. Being from NY, it hit really close to home. We went down the day after to help the red cross hand out water to first responders. Intense times.

Glad to see them honor the memory for generations to come.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Here is a little video I took of one of the twin towers endless waterfalls. It's really beautiful in person
https://youtu.be/Jl7LSVOeCIU

Yea the pools are really cool. Very simple but seem to capture the emotion. Hard to see all the names of those who died around the pools too. Especially gut wrenching when I saw the one with a ladies name and her unborn child. I definitely have to say out of all the stuff we've seen and done on this trip, the 9/11 memorial and museum have been the most meaningful.

Top Bottom