Engine noise

Moonraker

I was wondering if anyone had ever heard a ping coming from a 3.8 motor? Sound like an old submarine in a WW11 movie. Just noticed it tonight. Maybe someone has heard the same noise..

WJCO

Meme King
I was wondering if anyone had ever heard a ping coming from a 3.8 motor? Sound like an old submarine in a WW11 movie. Just noticed it tonight. Maybe someone has heard the same noise..

When does the noise occur? Going uphill? If it is a ping, BG makes some great stuff called 44K. That stuff is great for eliminating pinging. I've seen several 3.8s with failed rod bearings, but other than that I haven't seen too many other mechanical issues with them.

jeeeep

Hooked

how many miles have you got on it? when was the last time you checked or changed your spark plugs?

with the hood open, make the engine compartment as dark as you can and at idle see if you can see any spark escaping from the spark plug boots, it helps to have a helper rev it up a little while you look at the passenger side.

you can also try a gas tank of premium and see if it helps but it's not a fix.

Moonraker

When does the noise occur? Going uphill? If it is a ping, BG makes some great stuff called 44K. That stuff is great for eliminating pinging. I've seen several 3.8s with failed rod bearings, but other than that I haven't seen too many other mechanical issues with them.

It's weird, just started yesterday. I'm only hearing it when I'm stopped at an idle. Everything is functioning as normal. Only 70,000 on motor. Can't hear it while I'm driving,but it reminds me of that ping when a submarine is under water in those old movies. Thanks for responding .[emoji106]🏻

WJCO

Meme King
It's weird, just started yesterday. I'm only hearing it when I'm stopped at an idle. Everything is functioning as normal. Only 70,000 on motor. Can't hear it while I'm driving,but it reminds me of that ping when a submarine is under water in those old movies. Thanks for responding .[emoji106]

Post a video if you can.

818 JK

My clatter has turned into rod bearings, my bottom end is now toast. Only have 10,500 miles on the JK but I would not expect anything more from Chrysler. I ordered the 505 4.1 stroker motor today. I have heard good and bad but the parts they use are far more superior than stock. Really considered putting in LS motor but decided with my heavy foot I would really start breaking things plus my other car is a 2014 GT500 with 662hp and I will drive the JK the same way and have nothing but parts and pieces dropping all over the road or trail.

Moonraker

My clatter has turned into rod bearings, my bottom end is now toast. Only have 10,500 miles on the JK but I would not expect anything more from Chrysler. I ordered the 505 4.1 stroker motor today. I have heard good and bad but the parts they use are far more superior than stock. Really considered putting in LS motor but decided with my heavy foot I would really start breaking things plus my other car is a 2014 GT500 with 662hp and I will drive the JK the same way and have nothing but parts and pieces dropping all over the road or trail.

That's crazy, 10,000 miles.... I don't have a clatter. I was thinking of inspecting flex plate for cracks or maybe torch on bolts..

Moonraker

how many miles have you got on it? when was the last time you checked or changed your spark plugs?

with the hood open, make the engine compartment as dark as you can and at idle see if you can see any spark escaping from the spark plug boots, it helps to have a helper rev it up a little while you look at the passenger side.

you can also try a gas tank of premium and see if it helps but it's not a fix.

I will change plugs and check for spark in a dark place. That's s good point. I don't think its fuel but it can't hurt.. I guess what I meant to say ," sounds like a sonar ping" in my post. Thanks again for Ideas..I'm stumped on this one....

Murfphy

My 2008 3.8 was making noise until I put 10-40w with Lucas synthetic lube. Stopped that crap immediately. 33,000 mile motor

madstiles

Did you ever put the stroker in?

Also did the op figure out the ping?

Top Bottom