Adding grease fitting to JK rear door ?

Pastor Scott

Was wondering if it were possible to drill and tap a hole for grease fittings on rear gate.
With all the weight of the spare could this help and could it be done ??

thanks
Just and IDEA

Ps Scott

jeeeep

Hooked
Was wondering if it were possible to drill and tap a hole for grease fittings on rear gate.
With all the weight of the spare could this help and could it be done ??

thanks
Just and IDEA

Ps Scott

:thinking: good idea, I was just looking at my tailgate hinges wondering if I could put delrin bushings in it

kyle521

I think there might be an option for replacing just part of the stock hinge with a greasable fitting, but I'm not sure. I just went with new greasable hinges after mine wore out. It stopped my tailgate from rattling, Ive had them for less than a year and work fine, grease fittings are easy to get to.

jeeeep

Hooked
I think there might be an option for replacing just part of the stock hinge with a greasable fitting, but I'm not sure. I just went with new greasable hinges after mine wore out. It stopped my tailgate from rattling, Ive had them for less than a year and work fine, grease fittings are easy to get to.

what hinges did you get?

jeepwolley

One Day im gonna buy a teraflex carrier, but for now this does the job....

Took stock pin out, welded a sleeve and bolt...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457416443.824556.jpg

TennJK

One Day im gonna buy a teraflex carrier, but for now this does the job....

Took stock pin out, welded a sleeve and bolt...

View attachment 191881

I think you should do some research on the teraflex carrier. You may want to change your mind when you see how many people are having problems with them breaking and cracking. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: Here's a link to one of the forums about it. Worth the read..
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=34782

Last edited:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the heads up!

Seems like you basically made a set of those "heavy duty hinges". Nice mod. I was just going to say someone that could weld and figure out the bolt part could make a set of those hinges for way less than 150 that they are selling for.

jeepwolley

Seems like you basically made a set of those "heavy duty hinges". Nice mod. I was just going to say someone that could weld and figure out the bolt part could make a set of those hinges for way less than 150 that they are selling for.

Thanks ! The only issue is that you can't reinstall the plastic cover.

jeepwolley

What if you sleeved it and used a bolt with a zerk on the bolt head?

That would work as well. but for the plastic covers the bolt head and the nut is the problem. I also welded the Bolt head so it doesnt turn. If not the bolt would just wear out at the outside hinge

Top Bottom