Upgrade my rock krawler lift

zimm

Caught the Bug
I'm at my favorite off-road fab shop getting the RK rear track bar bracket replaced with a artec weld in one and adj track bar.

I mentioned that my RK 2.5 lift and fox 2.0 ifp shocks are very stiff riding. He says the RK springs are way too stiff. We took a ride in his prerunner jeep with custom everything- evo coils, King shocks, swayloc bars, etc. 4 wheel drifts on a country road on 37" iroks had me giddy. The problem is I don't have $28000 for a suspension build.

He said on a budget I could do evo plush rides, teraflex or evo long arms and keep the fox shocks for a much better ride. I can do that for about $5000 installed (15hrs labor) welding everything in and new trac bar so I can sell the RK kit whole.

Or maybe just start with the evo plush ride springs?

Last edited:

deadguy

What coils do you have from rk? The old linear ones or the triple rates?. I changed from the old to the newer triple and felt a small difference but I still had my old 5100 shocks. I'm going to the rancho adjustable shocks now to soften up the ride even more.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Start with just the Evo plush ride springs. Buy the springs and save yourself some money by installing them yourself. If rd still to stiff for you then get some rancho shocks.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I have the new triple rates. The first 3 coils are stacked at rest.

3 or 4" springs? I have 315/70r17 duratracs and I'm heavy with bumpers, carrier, skids, sliders, winch, hard top.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have the new triple rates. The first 3 coils are stacked at rest.

3 or 4" springs? I have 315/75r17 duratracs and I'm heavy with bumpers, carrier, skids, sliders, winch, hard top.

Depends. Did you cut your fenders yet? Plan on 37's in the near future?

Depends. Did you cut your fenders yet? Plan on 37's in the near future?
If he really meant 315/75r17, and not 315/70, id say hes pretty damn close already lol.

Edit: regardless, your fender question is probably most important

zimm

Caught the Bug
Update after the shop visit. The owner took my jeep for a test ride with me and confirmed that something was "terribly wrong" with my jeep. After looking around the front end, they found 4 issues:

1) I installed the trackbar backwards and it's hitting the diff cover. Doh! This is maybe why my axle is out 3/4" to the right and no more adjustment left on the threads. I'll flip it around and re-check everything
2) With the RK 2.5" springs and 3" bump stops, I have 1.5" of up travel available. The shop recommended to swap in 4" evo plush ride coils. While the springs are out they will cycle the suspension and see how much to cut the bump stops down for max travel (1/2" before shock tops out).
3) Northridge 4x4 sold me the long Fox 2.0's made for 4-6" lifts. There is less than 2" of up travel available on them. Even with the 4" coils, the shop recommended I get the shorter Fox shocks made for 2-3.5" lifts. I'll have both, so we'll see what fits best. If the long ones work, I'll return the shorter ones.
4) My shock bodies are jamming into the frame rails at full droop. They recommend artec lower shock mounts be welded to for more clearance.

I guess the good news is that I should have a much better riding jeep for just about a thousand bucks and not need long arms and King shocks just yet.

Last edited:

Desert Crawler

Regarding your 4 issues:
1. Install your track bar correctly and get your axle centered.
2. 3" of bumpstop is too much for those springs. You should be able to run 2" or less. 4" of lift is a LOT of lift for 34" tires. I wouldn't go taller then what you have unless you plan on running bigger tires also.
3. Those shocks are probably too long for your current lift. I run their 3.5" springs with that length fox adjustable resi shocks dialed to a fairly soft setting. While ride is subjective, I find mine is ideal for me both on and off road. With them dialed to the higher settings, the fox shocks are too stiff for my liking. You may want to try a softer (ideally adjustable) correct length shock before you change your springs and ride height.
4. Cycle the suspension AFTER you have fixed your known problems, and see if your shock mounts still need adjusted. With a centered axle, you may not need to alter the stock mounts. If so deal with it then.
This is just my opinion, but what I mentioned would save you a little cash for other mods. I would never raise my COG to accommodate bumpstops and shocks that are not the right height. If you don't plan on going to a taller tire and you currently have no tire rub issues, why raise your jeep?

DGP

Man, you should be able to make those RK springs work without issues. You also shouldn't buy shocks based on the advertised lift as that changes between manufacturers. You need to measure the distance between your shock mounts at ride height and then measure the distance between your bumpstop and axle. You should only need an inch or two of added bumpstop spacer and should have 4-5" of up travel before it hits. Then measure the distance between your shock mounts when your fully compressed. That will tell you what length shock you can run. Make sure to get the measurement of collapsed shock length that is a 1" shorter than the measurement you took at full compression so you don't bottom out your shock. I purchased the metal cloak outboard shock mounts and they worked great to make enough clearance for my king 2.5 shocks.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I'm so on the fence. I flipped my trackbar around and now the axle is within 1/4" of center. I adjusted the rear track bar to be the same. Now that the trackbar isn't hitting the axle, it's riding pretty good. The tires stopped rubbing on the arms at full turn too. The ride is a little firm, but now I'm second guessing swapping the springs out. I think the shorter fox shocks will be the ticket- I'll measure to be sure. Once I do some measuring, I can cut the bump stops down. I'm assuming I'll have to pull the coils in order to trim the stops- I don't think I can get a sawzall in there between the coils.

I need to figure out if I should cancel my order for the springs with the shop- they already have my money for the order and I've changed my mind a few times already with them. Hmm....

DGP

I would cancel. Your rough ride was probably because you were bottoming out on your bumpstops and your track bar.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the nudge. I fired off an email to cancel the springs and front trackbar. I'm sure the shorter fox shocks will help. Then I can trim the bump stops to the right height. I might take the money saved on the spring swap and put towards some EVO rock skids and sell my ACE and Rubicon sliders.

DGP

Didn't mean to talk you out of a front adjustable track bar, but if your not having any alignment issues I guess it could wait. Goodluck with your tweaks.

zimm

Caught the Bug
It's adjustable, the rock krawler version. I had it installed backwards. Not only was it bottoming out on the diff cover, but the axle was over an inch out with no more adjustment. I put it in right and it's a whole new jeep!

Top Bottom